Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make sourdough bread...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0848.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	132658 Oatmeal molasses bread

Comment

Thunder77 ...

😆 I love seeing bread pictures👍

Your bread looks great👍

Comment

Nice set of buns you got there Thunder77.

I've said it before, but I've never admired other guys' breasts, thighs, legs, shoulders, butts & buns more than here in The Pit. My wife has learned to not freak out when I say things out loud with those terms, like "Look at THOSE legs & thighs, and that butt!" with wide eyes staring at the computer screen. Or when I tell her I'm checking out David Parrish Dave's detailed [NY] Strip pictures.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          In mixed company I always make sure to say chicken legs or pork butt.😁

Breadhead, thanks for that tip about using whole wheat in your starter. I had a good starter going, took some of that and added the whole wheat to it, and wow did it take off! I never knew the different flours were after different bacteria cultures. I always made separate regular and whole wheat starters.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Thunder77 ...

Bakers of bread are just like BBQ guys. We study and we share our findings.👍

I found that data about the different types of flour preferred different bacteria in the starter in some really advanced bread science article I read somewhere on my bread journey and I figured what the hell, I'll give it a try. Much like you I found a substantial difference in my starter on the first feeding.

The other hidden advantage of using 50/50 bread flour/whole wheat flour in your starter is your loaves always have some WW in them which adds flavor and nutrition. If you keep your WW flour at 20% of the total flour or less you don't need to adjust the hydration content of the recipe either. If you go over 20% you need to increase your hydration some. WW flour is more thirsty than bread flour.

With a 50/50 mix of bread flour/whole wheat flour you only need 1 starter. You dictate the type of loaf you're making by the quantity of which flour you use in your dough. Much easier.😉

Breadhead, these were my Christmas breakfast cinnamon rolls. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2272.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	133124

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          😆 Now you're talking!

I've been working on duplicating the Cinnabon... The best cinnamon roll ever created in my humble opinion.

I like the texture of the Cinnabon. I like the topping they use. I like that they last for like a week on the counter top.

I'm getting close...😁

Like Huskee says... You've got nice looking buns Dude.😎

• chudzikb
          chudzikb commented
          Editing a comment
          Yet another food type banned by my vain attempt to stay with the living! Those cinnabon's could quite possibly be one of the worst foods known to man.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          chudzikb ...

ANYTHING that tastes that good really ought to be illegal.😳

However... Until the Fed's make it a felony I'm going to keep making them.😆

Yeah, that cinnabon is sinful! i some times get the minis to make myself feel better about it, but the big ones are the best. I have to say, mine are pretty dang good though!

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I agree. Your cinnamon rolls look delicious.

• Fine Swine
          Fine Swine commented
          Editing a comment
          Take 2 minis and press slightly together one on top of the other. You will get a nice big one. But I am going to have to try to make the big ones from scratch come Christmas time...

What's in the Cinnabon cinnamon that makes it so uniquely good? I want to say lots of butter & suagr? There are no actual Cinnabon places near me, but I've many times bought the break & bake Pillsbury cin rolls w/ the Cinnabon stuff in them. They are so good.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Guest ...

The Cinnabon's texture of the roll plus the quality of the type of cinnamon and the topping is what makes it devilishly delisious.

It's thicker and heavier texture makes it distinct. Plus the cinnamon topping is just better than all other competitors.

If you have a Smart & Final store near you you can buy them there. They sell them under the Cinnaroll name. It's a package of mini rolls

ribeyeguy ...

This is the thread I told you about.

Comment

Yesterday's effort. This bread is exceptionally tasty.

Comment

Wow chudzikb ...

What a beautiful loaf of bread. The crust is nice and the open and airy crumb would please any Breadhead. That's perfect! Good job.😆

See... It's not nearly as difficult as you had been led to believe right?

Comment

Well, now that I can do it without notes, it has become pretty easy. Early on, not so much. Have finally perfected getting the bread from the proofing basket into the dutch oven without burning myself. Remove the dutch oven from the oven and put the bread in when there is open space. Doing the same with the dutch oven in the oven, is not optimal! As with most things, the more you do it the easier it becomes. And I can say with authority now, adding cinnamon and apples is not the way to go with add in's. Not sure the chemistry, but, it did not rise and was more of a brick than I had hoped. But, experimentation is the way that one learns.

Comment

Danjohnston949 ...

On another thread you asked if I had a Soft Pretzel recipe I would recommend.

Here is a really good Soft Pretzel recipe with great instructions on how to execute the process, no matter what method you choose to use.

I think you will like these soft pretzels.

If you decide to make these... Take pictures for us.👍

Soft/chewy, buttery street vendor-style pretzels; comfort food at its best.

Comment

Breadhead, Thanks for the Link to the Pretzel Recipe! I guarantee that when I get arround to Making them I will Post Pics. Thanks Again!
                  Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

This one as well, on my list as well to try.

Soft, chewy pretzels, featuring a touch of sourdough and a warm butter glaze.

Comment

• Breadhead
                      Breadhead commented
                      Editing a comment
                      chudzikb ...

Good call! Why use commercial yeast when you maintain an active sourdough starter.😆

Thanks Breadhead for the quick link to this thread! And a long thread at that... Lot's of good info here...

Comment

• Breadhead
                      Breadhead commented
                      Editing a comment
                      As you read above... I created this tread to walk 1 rookie bread maker through the process, greatly shorten his learning curve. It worked out.

There's much more information in the running chats with others that have used this thread. I hope you add to it.👍

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here