Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make sourdough bread...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huskee ...

Done! I posted a nice article about the history of Jewish rye bread. It had what looked like a good recipe too.

Comment

• chudzikb
      chudzikb commented
      Editing a comment
      Well played...

Thanks Breadhead

Comment

Huskee ...

That's the best part of AR... Being able to contribute is cool.😎

Comment

What ever happened to our Aussie buddy Steve? Hopefully, one of those nasty salt crocs did not get him. Breadhead, I am going to teach my daughter how to make sourdough bread. Kid needs to learn some skills, has 0.0 interest in cooking, time to beat some into her! This is an Xmas break project.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          chudzikb ...

Steve...? I tried to reach him by private message and got no response. I too hope he is safe and just busy.

Teaching your daughter to make sourdough bread. That's a great father/daughter project. Learning the process of making bread by hand. Learning to know how the dough is supposed to look and feel is something you NEVER forget once you grasp it. Over time your daughter will always remember you teaching her the craft/art of making Artisan bread. Good call my friend.👍

Oh, and one more point, I have been using that proofing box by brod & Taylor with great success. Even throw the starter in there for good measure if I want it up to speed after feeding. Works like a charm. Won't need in the summer, but, now it is worth its weight in fantastic bread. Speeds the process with perfect temps for proofing. The 65 degree temps in the house over the winter tend to slow things down quite a bit.

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          Letting dough rise in a cooler environment does lead to smaller bubbles, but, of course, takes longer. I'm glad the proofing box worked out well for you. Good luck working with your daughter. Don't let it become a source of tension between you, though. Neither of my sons was interested in cooking, but one of my granddaughters (age 14) is, and we have a great time together. She always was a bit of a grandpa's girl, however, which makes it even better.

George

• chudzikb
          chudzikb commented
          Editing a comment
          My daughter, 17, has no interest in learning how to make anything other than kraft mac and cheese! However, she needs to be taught, and the wife has said the time has arrived! The son, 15, can follow directions and does ok...

chudzikb ...

I'm glad to see you've calculated all of the elements into your bread baking skills.

Knowing how all of the ambient elements effect the timing of your dough development is what separates real bread makers from the beginning bakers. Thats whats so interesting about bread baking... You never stop learning. Kind of like BBQ.😎

My new project is ciabatta bread for sausage rolls, dinner rolls and sandwich buns. Ciabatta bread is a very high hydration rich bread... 80% to 95%, depending on what you want to use it for. Rich dough means it has some oil/fat content to it. Figuring out how to shape rolls and buns out of a really high hydration dough is the challenge. Trying to explain that process to a beginning bread baker is even harder but where there is a will, there is a way.
        Last edited by Breadhead; December 6, 2015, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Still getting everything so that it is easily replicable. Teaching the kid will be a good experience. But, will have to beat the knowledge into her, it will be a challenge!

Comment

Doubled the recipe yesterday, and then split after the slap and fold part. Added in some rosemary on one loaf as a test. Did not get the distribution I was hoping for with the technique I used. Will try something different next time. Doubling worked, got twice as much bread, how could that be bad? Gave one away as an xmas present.

Comment

Breadhead, it sounds like we are kindred spirits. We both love good BBQ, and bread! I have been making bread for some years now, and recently got back into sourdough. I am going to check out some of the techniques you have suggested. I have had mostly good results, but I am always looking to improve my skills. I have only just heard of the weighing rather than measuring technique, so I am eager to try it out. I will let you know how it works out.

Comment

Thunder77 ...

Bread & BBQ are complimentary addictions.😁

They both take very little hands on labor and lots of waiting time. Having fresh bread to complement your BBQ'ed meat is a bonus most people can't do.😎

Bread is a much more exact science than BBQ. An extra ounce of water or flour can change a bread recipe quite a bit. The commercial bread industry operates on weight not volume simply because it is a much more accurate method of duplicating bread recipes.

In the metric system 1 ounce = 28 grams. So weighing your flour and water to create a 70% hydration dough is very simple and VERY accurate.

Understanding that method allows you to scale up or down the size of any bread recipe at will. It also allows you to duplicate bread recipes exactly that you really like each and everytime.

Sourdough...😉. Now you're talking. That's real bread. So similar to BBQ.😉

With sourdough you can use lots of SD starter and rush your dough and get good bread or... You can use very little SD starter and slow the process down and get fantastic bread.😆

I make bread while I'm waiting 16 hours for a pork butt or brisket to cook.👍

Comment

• Thunder77
                  Thunder77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yasheryoubetcha! Nothing like a warm sourdough loaf out of the oven, with a nice crispy crust!

Thunder77 .

Got any pictures of your loaves?

Comment

• Thunder77
                  Thunder77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I do, and I will post some soon.

Breadhead I'm really considering trying my hand at baking a loaf here & there. I have ZERO doubt that it will be worlds better than storebought bread/buns. Since it's winter now I have better circumstances to heat the house up. (I know, that kinda reasoning is akin to folks saying they don't run their smokers in winter, ha ha).

Say I were to head to the store to pick up some stuff to make a good loaf of regular old 'white-ish' bread, or brioche buns- should I pick up all purpose flour, or is there a better bread flour out there easy to find? Also, the yeast. What's the best all around yeast to look for in the grocery store? I don't plan to get into it to the extent I do my BBQ, so the idea of keeping yeast starters and such isn't really what I'm looking to get into, at least now. Just a good easy batch here & there.

Comment

Huskee ...

Now you're talking my man!👍
                  You can make your bread while you're waiting for your pork butts and briskets to smoke low and slow.

Flour... It depends on your recipe. A basic white bread can be done with either All Purpose flour or bread flour. I prefer the King Arthur Flour with the Gerneral Mills flour being a close second. Both of those brands should be readily available in your local grocery stores. For bread using All Purpose flour you want the protein content to be at least 9%. Some All Purpose flour is produced at below 9% to make bisquets with. I buy mine at Amazon Fresh at a reduced price.

Yeast. I would buy a small jar of yeast instead of the small packets, it's much cheaper. You should look for either Active Dry yeast or Instant yeast. I prefer Instant yeast because it doesn't need to be proofed like Active Dry yeast does. That saves you a small step. Either are good though. Just follow the directions on the packaging.

A basic white bread is a good place to start your bread baking journey Huskee ...

I hope you've invested in a digital scale it will make your recipe come out exactly how it was written. Find a recipe that is written with the metric scale... In grams.

You will find bread to be much like BBQ. You spend very little hands on time mixing the dough and lots of timing waiting for the dough to develop gluten.

Basic white bread is normally baked in a bread pan. If you want to shape it by hand goggle bread shaping on YouTube for videos on that topic.

I'll send you a link that will walk you through a basic white bread step by step too.

Good luck my friend. I'm excited you're going to bake bread.👍👌😆

This recipe would be a great basic white bread for you to start with. It has good directions to walk you through the process.
                  https://stellaculinary.com/recipes/b...e#comment-form
                  Last edited by Breadhead; January 6, 2016, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• Thunder77
                    Thunder77 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Huskee, 100% agree with Breadhead. I prefer to use at least some bread flour in my recipes, since they are supposed to have a higher protein content than all purpose flour. (Higher protein means more gluten, and essential component of bread rising, and holding it's shape.) I warn you though, it can be very addictive! Once you smell that first warm loaf in the oven, there is no turning back! :-)

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thunder77 ...

All Purpose flour VS Bread flour - for bread.

They both have equally important uses in bread baking.

With sourdough bread you always need high protein bread flour... About 13% protein content.

However... With some bread, like bisquets, you will get much better results with a low, low protein content flour like Southern produced All Purpose flour. Bisquets are very popular in the south so they produce a special grade of flour that has 6 or 7% protein content to make them soft and fluffy.

Then... For my Brioche hamburger bun recipe if I've planned ahead so that I can mix the dough and delay the fermentation process overnight in the fridge... I use Bread flour. This method takes about 16 hours and produces a really kick ass hamburger bun.

On the other hand... If I have failed to plan ahead and want a really good faux-brioche hamburger bun in about 4 hours time I'll change from bread flour to all purpose flour and retard the gluten development. So... I've gone from making bread to making cake essentially. The 2 different products will look exactly the same visually. The faux-brioche buns will be much better than you buy at the grocery store... But not as good as the REAL Brioche hamburger bun.

So... At the end of the day, both All Purpose flour & Bread flour have their own value in bread making. It really boils down to protein content and how you go about developing the dough.

I agree with you about baking bread as being equally addictive as BBQing. Once you've cooked a kick ass pork butt or a kick ass loaf of bread... You CAN'T quit!

However... In view of the fact that it takes about 16 hours to smoke a pork butt or brisket😆 You have plenty of time to bake a few loaves of bread to serve with it.👍
                    Last edited by Breadhead; January 7, 2016, 11:30 PM.

Breadhead, have you ever used vital wheat gluten? I have seen it called for in some recipes. Most of them called for all-purpose flour, though. I don't use it myself, I find that bread flour usually will do the trick. It may be necessary in some breads that are mostly rye, or other low-gluten flours.

Comment

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No I've never found a use for it. I started my bread journey with just sourdough. Flour, water, salt and starter. That journey taught me technique & bread science.

I've branched out to ciabatta bread, Brioche bread, French bread, wheat bread, basic white bread and rye bread. Learning to shape different types of bread has been a great study too.

I try to keep it simple and as Artisan as possible.

I play with hydration, shaping and scoring.😉

My current focus is making the PERFECT sourdough baguette. Only because it is the MOST difficult loaf to gain perfection and beauty in both the visual aspect, the feel in your mouth, the crispness to your teeth, and the proper sourness.

I don't bake bread to eat it. I bake bread to see if I can.

Improving each loaf was and is the mission.

Bread is like BBQ... No one will ever know it all. You NEVER quit learning.
                    Last edited by Breadhead; January 8, 2016, 12:33 AM.

Breadhead, here are some of my sourdough products. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1867.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	132650 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1866.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	132651

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here