Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make sourdough bread...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This mornings bakes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7B960D93-8569-4E38-8BEA-3228364D4EAA.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	1241154

Comment

Terrible as usual, Richard Chrz Mostly for our egos.

EDIT: It's not as pretty as yours, but here's my loaf from this morning... 90% Trailblazer bread flour, 10% spelt, smells great.

Name:	IMG_0950.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	1241174
      Last edited by rickgregory; June 23, 2022, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        rickgregory got any shots of slices? I love seeing the crumb!

SheilaAnn - thanks for the reminder. Was still warm when I took that shot and I let bread cool before slicing. Here's are crumb shots from this morning. Crumb is soft, but not at all gummy.

Name:	IMG_0956.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1241898

Name:	IMG_0955.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1241897

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        This is a 70% hydration dough with 90% Trailblazer bread flour and 10% spelt (600g Trailblazer, 60g spelt). 2% salt, 10% levain (67g) and about 25g of honey.

Autolysed for 1 hour, mixed in the KA for 5 minutes, then into bulk for about 5 hours at 76F. Three stretch and folds at the front end of bulk, 30 minutes apart. After bulk, preshaped, shaped, into a pullman loaf pan and into the fridge overnight. Baked the next morning at 400F, 20 mins with steam, 25 without.
        Last edited by rickgregory; June 25, 2022, 12:14 PM.

• Mark V
        Mark V commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice!

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        rickgregory fantastic!

Got myself a kamado 16” baking steel for my birthday. I figure I can use it inside in the oven like tonight and also in the SNS kamado. Broke it in with some bread. Never baked without a DO before. First loaf was a big disappointment. I had filled the half sheet pan underneath with water. Not enough steam. Second loaf I soaked some cloths on the pan and the steam and oven spring were way better. Can’t wait to make a pizza on it.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by jhapka; June 26, 2022, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• jhapka
        jhapka commented
        Editing a comment
        rickgregory that’s the beauty of the eaters: ugly on the outside but still delicious bread on the inside

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        jhapka I am banning "eaters" from your vocabulary. Cuz they ain’t ugly!

• jhapka
        jhapka commented
        Editing a comment
        SheilaAnn I guess I’ll have to say what Jon Favreau in Chef Show says in the bread episode: "that one’s for grilled cheese."

A few baguettes from today.

Name:	image_179787.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	1245231

Comment

I have to say, Richard Chrz I have bought bread from most of the artisan bakeries around me. They don't look as good as yours. I have no problem with what I make myself, although I always try to do better. You have certainly set a high bar! Keeps me interested in doing better myself.
        Last edited by Mark V; June 30, 2022, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          I concur!

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          Very kind of you to say. I feel like I am still so new at cooking (smoking and baking) I respect the entire craft, and the crafts that support home cooking. I have appreciated good words here, and really good reviews from my customers. I hope to always see better questions after each cook/bake, I am glad that you are staying interested in the process as well!

Company bake-off tomorrow. I’m up against lots of refined sugary goodness so I’m not hoping to win but maybe I’ll get somebody into bread
        Attached Files
        Last edited by jhapka; July 13, 2022, 06:14 PM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          How did the bake off go today? Bet that bread was devoured.

• jhapka
          jhapka commented
          Editing a comment
          Richard Chrz tied for best taste with strawberry cheesecake. Second in best appearance behind strawberry cheesecake. I’ll take it

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          They look great to me.

Baked only one today,I still have some test batches cold fermenting.

Name:	C0A118ED-B82E-4831-8991-21E8704DCA57.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	1254302

Comment

• Philotius
          Philotius commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh my gosh, Same boat, no where near your quality but been experimenting with long slow bulk with a "quick" hotter final. I feel like I’m getting close

My test experiment’s. Someone asked if I could help them design a loaf to go with their charcuterie sandwiches. One is my first shot at it, it is a 300 gram loaf at 11 inches. Looking forward to cutting it open, I did a lot of stuff wrong on purpose, just to see what will need to be done, also, had some sourdough ready for bread, but, I was to wiped to bake them yesterday. So I did a ton of stuff wrong on that, but I don’t mind learning, often I do stuff different, just to make sure to rule it out as a step. Then last a photo of my sourdough pizza dough, this is a 72-96 hour ferment pizza dough, I always enjoy watching the fermentation trails build.

Name:	17724A08-F4AA-4E39-9DEB-10C42FBFF68E.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	1254805

Name:	1774B51D-7879-49BA-A8DE-1BD0C1E7CCBD.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	1254803

Name:	A2EE037D-B79C-473A-8531-6180659196A5.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1254804

Comment

Cut open the test bake above.

what makes this a test loaf. I was tired and did not feel like working with bread anymore by Tuesday, but, I had started this dough, and it was only about 4 hours in after initial mix, and some folds. I just left put it in a cambro and put it in the fridge, knowing slow fermentation will happen. Literally shaped it for about 10 minutes, threw it in the fridge again for 2 hours, then baked. With very little shaping ( almost none), and all the other steps I take, I was expecting less then this even. There are some bad air pockets in this one. But again, for doing almost nothing the way I normally do, I’m pleased with the lazy bake.

Click image for larger version  Name:	38EB9B21-48B0-4A9F-9AC6-FBF17D7015CA.jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.61 MB ID:	1254835

Click image for larger version  Name:	10C6BEEB-5400-49CD-8D8A-10B37BB5B3A2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	8.36 MB ID:	1254825
          Last edited by Richard Chrz; July 15, 2022, 01:51 PM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            This loaf went on the pizza steel and fell down to almost an inch coming off the peel ( I expected that, I did not expect it to recover in 15 minutes,

Cut open the sandwich roll.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3A61F0A1-7098-4BBF-84C9-7B09C33453BA.jpg Views:	5 Size:	1.06 MB ID:	1255377
          Click image for larger version  Name:	793EB949-16DA-489A-A4D7-B3D3BB2F84C1.jpg Views:	4 Size:	738.3 KB ID:	1255376
          Last edited by Richard Chrz; July 16, 2022, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice job shaping that loaf.

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm spreading Camembert and all over that in my mind right now. Can't wait til I can make bread like that.

• jhapka
            jhapka commented
            Editing a comment
            Love these

I've been baking pan loaves for sandwiches and got bored with that so I broke out my new clay batard cloche from Breadtopia along with the new banneton and baked up this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0984-color.jpg Views:	14 Size:	398.6 KB ID:	1257268 Crumb shot later when it's cooled (it's cool now, but if I cut into it I'll eat it all).

EDIT:

Crumb....

Name:	IMG_0990.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	1257639
          Last edited by rickgregory; July 19, 2022, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• snowswamp
            snowswamp commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome! I have some Breadtopia items on the way.

This mornings bakes. Second swing on my sourdough sandwich roll. Next will be to cut more weight, increase= starter, and then 2 of my standards, and a close up on the rolls. I will cut one open later and share.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5E131CF5-0A17-48E1-BCD0-74506B866EBC.jpg Views:	7 Size:	1,011.4 KB ID:	1258610
          Click image for larger version  Name:	4E5CDE48-78DB-4447-B3A7-ACFA2B1CE80C.jpg Views:	7 Size:	5.33 MB ID:	1258612
          Click image for larger version  Name:	80820389-E2E4-46CA-AEA3-1C57FE5A5BA4.jpg Views:	7 Size:	686.9 KB ID:	1258611
          Last edited by Richard Chrz; July 21, 2022, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• rickgregory
            rickgregory commented
            Editing a comment
            Are those your SD bread just a different size/shape or is this a more ciabatta-like formula?

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m working it with maybe a few similarities, yet I’m not following anything, just going off what I would want for it. Developing the bake for a friend who ages his own charcuterie. He asked if I could help him develop a bun for it.

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            So nice

Second bake from my starter, another Pain de Campaigne. When I went to turn them out of the proofing baskets they stuck and tore. I haven't cut into them yet. One is going to a neighbor, the other will be used for Patty Melts tomorrow.

Name:	IMG_3770.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	1258715

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
            Elton's BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I bet those are good!

• jhapka
            jhapka commented
            Editing a comment
            How were they when you sliced in?

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            jhapka they were fantastic!

My cutting was poor. I moved it into a lower percentage, I shortened the length and opened the width a bit to handle larger toppings in a more manageable experience. I’m moving the right direction on these.

Name:	50F0050F-2AC4-4AB9-B15F-64324519D7AE.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	1258747

Name:	3BD01DB8-F06A-4F69-BE74-A5BBCA25C8BC.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	1258746

Comment

• jhapka
            jhapka commented
            Editing a comment
            hoovarmin I always spray four sprays of water on the loaf when baking with a DO

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            jhapka do you put the lid on your DO for the first part of the cook?

• jhapka
            jhapka commented
            Editing a comment
            hoovarmin yep 500 F lid on 20 minutes then 450 F lid off 20 minutes

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here