Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

How to make sourdough bread...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Chrz
    commented on 's reply
    I picked up this flour at Sam’s club 25 lb bag for less then 9 dollars, I was expecting to be less then happy, but, quite the opposite, over performed my expectations, it took a while though to figure out the starter. Once I got it, now I feed it ice water to slow it’s roll.

• RonB
    replied
    We went to Costco today and they now have 12 lb bags of KA AP flour for $6.79 which works out to ~ $0.57/lb. When I buy it at the local grocery, it's ~ $4.50 for 5 lbs which works out to ~ $0.90/lb.
    I don't know how long they have been carrying this, but today is the first time I have noticed it.

Leave a comment:

• Richard Chrz
    commented on 's reply
    I enjoy baking these batards more then boule’s, I use a pizza steel, with a half bake sheet pan one level under, and then mist inside every 5 minutes with a spray bottle. Then I can use a pizza peel to load off load, and not worry about sticking my hands in the Dutch ovens.

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    When you make boules, save one dough ball for a batard. Check the proofing on the boule and then bake the batard at the same time. You can use an inverted disposable aluminum pan to cover the batard to help steam the crust.

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    @RichardChrz - I don't like having the ears, so I don't shape 'em. I just round over the end like a sub roll.

• Richard Chrz
    commented on 's reply
    I could also take this into learning a higher hydration with same. I am running roughly a 65 percent hydration.

• Richard Chrz
    commented on 's reply
    I think I would also enjoy pretzels and bagels.

• Richard Chrz
    commented on 's reply
    RonB this is the batard thank you for the link. I look forward to checking it out. I started with boule, but the batard and the ear always was elusive, I did not understand that ear process, and kept coming up over proofed.
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; April 15, 2021, 10:38 AM.

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    Richard Chrz - you could also try different shapes. I prefer the batard shape, but it's a tiny bit harder to make than a boule. I think I've posted this link before, but here it is again just in case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgqPli_sLLM&t=417s

I find the batard shape much more user friendly.

• Richard Chrz
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you, I think I may be ready to start taking a different bake in. Thinking baguette may be next. I feel solid enough in this one to write it down and share timing of ferment and schedule. I may come back to it though with some new flours to try. But feel I could have this ready in no time if I need a loaf. This bake was built around my rest/energy cycles
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; April 15, 2021, 10:13 AM.

• RonB
    replied
    Looks great as always.

Leave a comment:

• Richard Chrz
    replied
    I am giving these two away, so will not cut them open, but likely will bake 2 more tomorrow, and maybe 2 more Saturday. I will likely keep one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6D4AAD80-4EB7-42A7-9DD2-88001E95A210.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	3.48 MB
ID:	1018189

Click image for larger version  Name:	8BF866BC-3D6E-4957-B597-43E0CDE8DC6D.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	954.6 KB ID:	1018179
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; April 15, 2021, 09:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Thunder77
    commented on 's reply
    Turmeric never occurred to me as a bread ingredient. Cool!

• MBMorgan
    commented on 's reply
    C'mon ... your waistline LOVES that approach ... just ask your mirror (the one that hates you ... like mine).

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    Some idea here, too. https://www.theperfectloaf.com/colle...scard-recipes/

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Meat-Up in Memphis