Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sourdough Bread - the Perfect Loaf technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sourdough Bread - the Perfect Loaf technique

I've been baking sourdough bread each week since the pandemic lock down. So-so results until today. Yesterday I revisited the Perfect Loaf blog and followed the recipe/technique for the Beginner's Sourdough bread. I was surprised at how wet the dough was at 78% hydration and I wasn't expecting it to turn out since my previous bread/pizza dough recipes called for 65-70% hydration. After the over night proof in the frig it went into the oven this morning, Turn out to be better than my expectations. Was yummy dipped into homemade clam chowder. A great lunch for the three of us.

That is a great looking loaf!

Comment

Hahah... I just baked the same loaf. My crust was much darker (I need to check oven temp) but yeah, that's a winner.

Comment

That's a great lookin' boule.

Comment

Man this makes me wanna get back into sourdough! Years ago I lost my starter I had had forever. I have tried many times since to start a new starter but it has never been the same.

Comment

• lonnie mac
            lonnie mac commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep! That's where I had originally purchased my starter from many years ago. It was the best. It is important to note that these starters do not all come from the same place or person. It's like a chain, or a group list. When you send in your envelope and some cash, (which I always do as well) that your dried starter will come from someone, who ever has some, from wherever... The last several batches I got just were not the same as the first. I'm gonna try again though!

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I know they are a geographically diverse group of people. Fairly strict membership guidelines but no real way to do quality control. My culture recently got contaminated with mold so I replaced it. The one I received seems pretty good. I've had to replace it before (hurricanes), each time it seems to be nearly the same. Hopefully that trend will continue (and hopefully I won't have to replace it again). You might want to try King Arthur's culture. It has been maintained since the 1700s.
            Last edited by 58limited; June 1, 2020, 02:08 AM.

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            Just checked, King Arthur's is temporarily unavailable.

Originally posted by lonnie mac View Post
          Man this makes me wanna get back into sourdough! Years ago I lost my starter I had had forever. I have tried many times since to start a new starter but it has never been the same.
          I found starters (yes, I have two, what?) being sold from bakeries here. You might check around your area - even places that didnt used to sell them are now to bring in cash (along with other stuff).

The Perfect Loaf is great. Lots of sourdough recipes on the site, not just bread.

Comment

Nice job, Richard !!!

Comment

Looks like you got it nailed!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here