Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adventures in Sourdough Continue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adventures in Sourdough Continue

My neighbor gave me some King Arthur Bread Flour. Prior I was using King Arthur AP flour. I will say it makes a huge difference (at least for me) in handling the dough. I'm very happy with this one. Great oven spring, light and fluffy crumb and over all nice sourish flavor.

About 3 weeks of trial and error...mostly error...lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4208.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	852772Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4212.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	852771

Very nice. Good job troymeister .

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

Nice! I use KA flour as much as possible myself.

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here

Great looking loaf!!

Comment

Looks great. Trial and error never seems to end. Mostly my bread turns out great but every once in a while something goes wrong.

Comment

Did you notice a difference in texture using the bread flour over the AP?

Comment

• troymeister
              troymeister commented
              Editing a comment
              hoovarmin I found the bread flour made the dough easier to handle especially in the beginning. With the AP flour I had a very hard time handling the dough with the high 77% hydration rate. Actually I like the flavor of the AP a little better though.
              Last edited by troymeister; June 3, 2020, 02:25 PM.

That looks delicious! I’ve got a starter doing, tried a loaf a few days ago, but it was a dismal failure. Gonna try again some the weekend. Any chance you would e willing to share the recipe you used?

Comment

Originally posted by DavidEmpey View Post
            That looks delicious! I’ve got a starter doing, tried a loaf a few days ago, but it was a dismal failure. Gonna try again some the weekend. Any chance you would e willing to share the recipe you used?
            Check out theperfectloaf.com for a lot of really good info on how to tell when a starter is ready and much more.

Comment

That’s a gorgeous loaf!

I love making loaves like that, but I always manage to get cornmeal everywhere when I do. Drives my wife crazy.

I was looking around for a bread machine version, instead of using it to just knead and rise the dough. I found the King Arthur one that uses the French Bread setting for the crust.

I love that recipe for ease of making it and its good bread. When it first comes out, it has the classic French Bread crispy crust, which is nice. But if you put it in a ziplock bag overnight, the crust gets nice and chewy like sourdough should be.

Be careful though! The "1.5 pound" version of the recipe nearly lifted the lid of my two pound bread machine! That was using Robin Hood Bread Flour. I now make the "one pound" version of the recipe, and use the 1.5 pound settings on the machine (don’t have one pound setting). Works great, and it’s a nice sized sandwich loaf.

If you’re interested, here’s the link:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/reci...h-bread-recipe
              Last edited by andy.wpg; June 2, 2020, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here