Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you wanna try makin' bread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you wanna try makin' bread?

Baking Steel is having a live class tomorrow. If that doesn't work for you, they will post the video in their videos on the Baking Steel site after the class. These guys, (or this guy if it's only one person), do know how to bake, but they are not so good at making videos, so be patient...

https://nqq.soundestlink.com/view/5e...07875b114d5105

Thanks for the link, id like to up my bread game!

Comment

If you're interested at all in sourdough, this is a great resource https://www.theperfectloaf.com

He's incredibly detailed with good pics of how things should look. If you have bakeries in your area, they might be selling starter too.

Comment

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        hoovarmin nailed it. Tartine does this too. For a lighter crust, just bake for less time (don't adjust temp).

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        hoovarmin - I agree that the Maillard reaction adds flavor, BUT there is a point of diminishing returns for me. Deep brown is good, but very dark brown approaching black is too far for me. Straight doughs are actually done around 190°, but you can normally safely take them over 200° to brown them. Enriched doughs may not be done until they reach 200° or higher.

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB I agree in preferring more of a blonde crust. Being new to this whole thing and knowing nothing about it, I was really surprised to learn that the Malliard reaction was a part of bread baking. The first loaves I left in to get darker and explained to my wife that we were developing flavor. She said "funny, cause it tastes like you burned them." LOL

Thanks I signed up. I should be up by 11 😛

Comment

Todays bread making effort.
        Attached Files

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Baking today, BBQing tomorrow. Cute little bakers you've got there.

Kathryn

The video from the virtual class is now available on youtube:

There are more videos on their channel. Their English muffin video would be a good place to start.

Comment

Some other video resources...

Ken Forkish has a Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvV...86bLbd5FdgYiUg

So does The Perfect Loaf which I linked to above - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5v...WFBKFyJU_jMvrQ

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here