Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peanut butter cookie question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peanut butter cookie question

I have two 4 ingredient recipes for peanut butter cookies, both identical except for one thing.

The recipe that is most commonly found with a Google search:

1 cup peanut butter
    1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup Bisquick

The recipe from Pillsbury, makers of Bisquick:

1 cup peanut butter
    1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 cups Bisquick

So, which one? Am I being played by Big Bisquick?

Bisquick is a shelf stable mix of flour, fat, baking powder and salt. (BTW you can easily make your own, just won't be shelf stable.) By doubling the amount, the cookie should be drier and cakier - maybe a traditional baking powder biscuit - and make about double the quantity. The other should be moister and chewier - maybe more of a cream biscuit. Either will be tasty. Now take this all with a grain of salt as I've never tried to make anything but pancakes with Bisquick and that was longer ago than I can remember.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I made chocolate chip cookies with Bisquick and they were truly outstanding.

I think you should make both recipes and compare.

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking the same...
      Somewhere in there, there should be a terrific cookie.

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking the same...
      Somewhere in there, there should be a terrific cookie. Adjust as necessary.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm willing to come down and be a judge between the two.

Another option is to average the two recipes and use 1.5 cups of bisquick

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I thought about that.

The Betty Crocker site (makers of Bisquick) says 2 cups Bisquick.

Kathryn

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. But the most popular variation on the ‘net says one cup. Hence the dilemma!

• THE Humble Texan
      THE Humble Texan commented
      Editing a comment
      My "old" BC cookbook was before Bisquick.

I don't bake cookies or I'd eat them all. However maybe I should try sometime---please let us know how your's turn out.

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s my problem. Kitchenaid states that my "Pro Line" mixer can whip up FOURTEEN dozen cookies! O_o Really?!
      I don’t need that kinda info. LOL ‘cause I’ll eat ‘em all.

Mosca, Mosca, Mosca, oh what are we to do? As you so adaptly stated, such a dilemma. Me thinks you have way to much time on yer hands. Oh, now that I think of it, most of us have way to much time on our hands. 🕶

Comment

Make it with onec cup, divide in half and add 1/2 cup more Bisquick to one of the halves. That way you can try both without doubling the recipe, unless, of course, ya want to double the recipe...

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Ooooooooh, now we are gettin inta some deep math!

I did the one using two cups of Bisquick because, hey: more cookies. They are very good, moist and chewy and a little bit cakey. I’d make them this way and always be happy.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        So, how many didja eat at first sittin
        & how many are left? We wanna know !

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Only two. Cinco de Mayo. More later.

Have you tried Alton Brown’s PB cookies? I’ve made two batches and they are awesome. Here’s the kicker - they are flourless. If I like them, and that’s saying something, plus they are easy to make (no mixer required).

1 cup creamy PB (Jiff)
      1/2 cup brown sugar
      1/2 cup white granulated sugar
      1 egg
      1 tsp vanilla extract
      1 tsp baking soda
      1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Mix peanut butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and mix until everything is incorporated.

Portion dough onto parchment paper using cookie scoop (you’ll have about 16 cookies) and use a fork to make the traditional PB cookie crosshatch. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes and cool.
      Last edited by ColonialDawg; May 5, 2020, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ColonialDawg View Post
        Have you tried Alton Brown’s PB cookies? I’ve made two batches and they are awesome. Here’s the kicker - they are flourless. If I like them, and that’s saying something, plus they are easy to make (no mixer required).

1 cup creamy PB (Jiff)
        1/2 cup brown sugar
        1/2 cup white granulated sugar
        1 egg
        1 tsp vanilla extract
        1 tsp baking soda
        1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Mix peanut butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and mix until everything is incorporated.

Portion dough onto parchment paper using cookie scoop (you’ll have about 16 cookies) and use a fork to make the traditional PB cookie crosshatch. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes and cool.
        ColonialDawg - your fingers oops-ed. The last 1/4 teaspoon s/b salt not more soda. Wouldn't cause a problem - little bit airier and bland but not inedible. It takes a lot to make any homemade cookie inedible. I'm somewhat surprised, pleasantly so, by number of bakers on a bbq site.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
          ColonialDawg commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for catching that typo. I corrected it.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here