Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else do this with their sourdough starter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else do this with their sourdough starter?

I’ll start by saying: "Get your minds out of the gutter! It’s nothing like that!"

I’m using Alton Brown’s starter (aren’t they all pretty much the same?).

Before I use it or feed it (if I’m not using it that week) I run the stick blender in the jar for a bit to get it nice and smooth and pourable.

Am I hurting myself by doing this? The bread always turns out great, so I don’t think I am. Just curious.

I will preface that I don’t treat my starter as i should. It will sit in the fridge for months, I’ll take it out and give it a stir and put it back in the fridge. But when I use it, I take it out and stir it up and let it sit out then start the feed process, using the throw away portion for sour dough pancakes. I have never thrown away any of it.

but, yes, I stir/blend before I do anything every time.

Comment

Originally posted by barelfly View Post
      using the throw away portion for sour dough pancakes.
      Could you elaborate on this? Possibly with a recipe?

Comment

This is what I use

Sourdough Pancakes

In a small saucer, mix together the following:
      3 teaspoons sugar
      1-teaspoon baking soda
      1-teaspoon salt

To your bowl of sourdough, add
      2 eggs and approx. 1 Tablespoon of veg. or olive oil, and mix thoroughly.

While your griddle is heating up, return to the sourdough, and sprinkle the sugar, salt, baking soda mixture, and gently stir it into the sourdough with a folding motion. The object is to fold it in, getting it uniformly into the sourdough without a lot of agitation. When griddle is a hot, cook pancake.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        How much sourdough?

• Brewmaster
        Brewmaster commented
        Editing a comment
        Depends on how many people you are feeding, it is pretty forgiving on the amount of starter, if I am feeding a crowed (15-25) then I double it, I just get a big bowl and don't measure the starter, make sure to take some out to save before adding the eggs
        Last edited by Brewmaster; May 4, 2020, 03:02 PM.

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack, I posted the recipe I use above to reference as well if you would like.

are you hurting it? No. the air you incorporate from that will go away quickly. Do you need to run a stick blender in it to adequately mix it? Also no. But hey...

Comment

And I don’t use a stick blender - I miss read that part. I use a dough whisk every time I stir this up.

Comment

I only use a spoon when stirring mine. I don't think the blender will hurt though.

Comment

I've been trying to get a starter going for a good month now... I've restarted it 3x and its just not working for me for some reason. Now that its warmed up a bit, I'm going to give it one more go... the only other thing I can think of is that I've been using city water which is probably chlorinated and maybe that's killing the yeast?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Might be what's happenin.
              Re: City Water:Gack.
              All water that enters my body, via cookin, or liquid (beverage consumption), has been filtered via at least a Brita Pitcher...sometimes more extreme methods, such as boilin are also observed. Situationally dependent.

• troymeister
              troymeister commented
              Editing a comment
              You can leave the a glass of tap water out over night. That should theoretically let the chlorine dissipate. I have been doing that and getting nice and bubbly starter.

Originally posted by prepperjack View Post
            I've been trying to get a starter going for a good month now... I've restarted it 3x and its just not working for me for some reason. Now that its warmed up a bit, I'm going to give it one more go... the only other thing I can think of is that I've been using city water which is probably chlorinated and maybe that's killing the yeast?
            Almost certainly. Use filtered or even distilled water, and I’m sure you’ll have better luck.

Comment

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              If you can't find any or don't want to go out and if your water is treated with chlorine (not chloramine) set a container out overnight and the chlorine will dissipate. Chloramine does not do this.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here