Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Forkish Loaf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mnavarre
    commented on 's reply
    Heh. I was going to link that video earlier, but I got distracted researching pizza ovens...

• hoovarmin
    commented on 's reply
    mnavarre I just did the method in this video and it worked! https://youtu.be/vEG1BjWroT0

• WVsmoke
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	A177E673-5C08-4215-83D9-717BA88ABCA2.jpeg Views:	12 Size:	2.03 MB ID:	840930Click image for larger version  Name:	971E8CFC-209D-492A-BCA0-92C726B7DF26.jpeg Views:	13 Size:	1.64 MB ID:	840931 Nice looking bread. I have followed the Ken Forkish method and recipes for more than two years resulting in some tasty bread. Recently I tried The NY Times Cinnamon Raisin Swirl Bread recipe and it was fantastic. I took liberty with the recipe after reading some of the comments from other bakers. First I simply soaked the the raisins in hard apple cider then padded them dry, second I mixed in the raisins while kneading the dough in Step 4. Both adjustments worked out well. This recipe is a family favorite now.
    (cooking.nytimes.com)
    Last edited by WVsmoke; May 3, 2020, 04:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mnavarre
    commented on 's reply
    I think I did 5 folds when I made that, but it's been a while. I got pretty much the same result you did, I thought it was going to be a hot mess but it baked up nicely.

As far as getting a feel for the dough consistency, practice. Make the same recipe several times in a row, ideally taking notes on things like process, weather, dough & fermentation temps, etc. That'll give you kind of a baseline. Ideally chose something moderately high-hydration, like 75%

• Skip
    commented on 's reply
    hoovarmin aka Breadmaster!

• hoovarmin
    commented on 's reply
    mnavarre I wondered whether I should have folded it one more time before hitting the hay last night. mountainsmoker wish I had a reference point for knowing how wet it should feel. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by hoovarmin; May 2, 2020, 04:48 PM.

• RonB
    replied
    I'd be happy with those boules.

Leave a comment:

• Mark V
    replied
    I have never gone wrong with a Forkish recipe/method. I have or have read the major author's books, and Forkish is to me more consistent with results.

Leave a comment:

• mountainsmoker
    commented on 's reply
    You need to pay attention to the humidity and add the last bit of water by the feel of the dough...You will get the hang of it over time.

• hoovarmin
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	6B786DA2-031B-4D5C-90AF-4440CC1FCD35.jpeg
Views:	255
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	840783 Holy cow it turned out to be amazing even though it seemed like a lost cause.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	07AE080D-755F-486C-A3EC-27B748C5D72E.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	840785
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• mnavarre
    commented on 's reply
    I had the same problem with that recipe, it never seemed to build enough structure during the folding and was a pain to shape. I used Gold Medal AP flour, and I wonder if using a higher protein flour might make a difference. Or lowering the hydration slightly, Gold Medal and the unbleached flour I've been buying behave differently at the same hydration. Maybe I'll revisit this one today, I've got a new bag of flour to play with.

• hoovarmin
    commented on 's reply
    Lol Skip I do tend to go all in or not go in at all. Thanks, good buddy.

• Skip
    replied
    For some reason I feel like putting butter or jam on my computer screen and taking a bite. hoovarmin it looks like you've been bitten by the Bread Baking Bug to the point of no return. You are doing a great job!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• hoovarmin
    replied
    I dumped it in the proofing bowls about an hour ago. What would happen if I were to fold it another time and proof it again?

Leave a comment:

• Skip
    commented on 's reply
    or sometimes water your hands when handling wet dough.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here