Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Forkish Loaf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Forkish Loaf

Made the Saturday Morning Whole Wheat for my first try with Forkish’s Methods. I’ve got a 4qt Lodge on order but stuck with a larger vessel til it arrives. That said I was pleased with the results. It was quite a bit more salty than I even xpected and I’m wondering whether his recipes are salt heavy or if the scale I’m using is a bad one. New scales are also on the way. Thanks for all the generous help and advice.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	C83B4780-BA4E-4060-A6A1-A607177ECB34.jpeg
Views:	274
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	840692

That looks great. I like salty things anyway so that would work for me.

Comment

Just tried to shape my second batch - the overnight white bread. Looks like an epic fail. The dough is too sticky to handle and won't take shape after folding.

Comment

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        I think I did 5 folds when I made that, but it's been a while. I got pretty much the same result you did, I thought it was going to be a hot mess but it baked up nicely.

As far as getting a feel for the dough consistency, practice. Make the same recipe several times in a row, ideally taking notes on things like process, weather, dough & fermentation temps, etc. That'll give you kind of a baseline. Ideally chose something moderately high-hydration, like 75%

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        mnavarre I just did the method in this video and it worked! https://youtu.be/vEG1BjWroT0

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        Heh. I was going to link that video earlier, but I got distracted researching pizza ovens...

Ya done good!

If it's not too late, use a lot of flour to keep it from sticking to your hands.

Comment

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        or sometimes water your hands when handling wet dough.

I dumped it in the proofing bowls about an hour ago. What would happen if I were to fold it another time and proof it again?

Comment

For some reason I feel like putting butter or jam on my computer screen and taking a bite. hoovarmin it looks like you've been bitten by the Bread Baking Bug to the point of no return. You are doing a great job!!!!!

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol Skip I do tend to go all in or not go in at all. Thanks, good buddy.

Name:	6B786DA2-031B-4D5C-90AF-4440CC1FCD35.jpeg
Views:	251
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	840783 Holy cow it turned out to be amazing even though it seemed like a lost cause.

Name:	07AE080D-755F-486C-A3EC-27B748C5D72E.jpeg
Views:	241
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	840785
        Attached Files

Comment

• Skip
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          hoovarmin aka Breadmaster!

I have never gone wrong with a Forkish recipe/method. I have or have read the major author's books, and Forkish is to me more consistent with results.

Comment

I'd be happy with those boules.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	A177E673-5C08-4215-83D9-717BA88ABCA2.jpeg Views:	12 Size:	2.03 MB ID:	840930Click image for larger version  Name:	971E8CFC-209D-492A-BCA0-92C726B7DF26.jpeg Views:	13 Size:	1.64 MB ID:	840931 Nice looking bread. I have followed the Ken Forkish method and recipes for more than two years resulting in some tasty bread. Recently I tried The NY Times Cinnamon Raisin Swirl Bread recipe and it was fantastic. I took liberty with the recipe after reading some of the comments from other bakers. First I simply soaked the the raisins in hard apple cider then padded them dry, second I mixed in the raisins while kneading the dough in Step 4. Both adjustments worked out well. This recipe is a family favorite now.
            (cooking.nytimes.com)
            Last edited by WVsmoke; May 3, 2020, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here