Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking Advice for Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking Advice for Improvement

My first attempt at bread baking. I used Kenji's no-knead recipe. Very disappointed in the appearance of the loaf but the flavor and texture were terrific. Used an oval cast-iron dutch oven and put the loaf in it on parchment paper and I'm sure that the paper impinging on the loaf altered the shape. The only yeast I had was from one of those packets you buy in the grocery store. I wasn't sure whether it is the same as what comes in the jars but I measured it out according the recipe. It surely didn't seem like very much yeast at all. I Would love some feedback from you guys on how to improve the next loaf.

PS. I have the Forkish book and have supplies on order for following his methods. But delivery of many of the items is slow due to you know what, so I thought I'd just get my fix by working with this no knead method until the stuff arrives.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1729.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	839278Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1724.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	839279

maybe the bread got to close to the Corona can?
    The bread looks great to me!

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL, I did substitute some of the water for Shiner Bock beer!

Keep working on your shaping techniques. But even misshapen bread tastes delicious.

do you use a banneton? That could help also.

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't use one and don't know what a banneton is but I'm going to google it now. Gracias

When you say you're disappointed with appearance I'm guessing you mean the outside. That interior is gorgeous. As for the outside shape, just call it "Turtle Bread"...……………….then folks will be impressed with your skill.

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Dang, I should have thought of that!

The bread looks excellent. Really! I use a round Dutch oven. I also use parchment paper. It's so much easier to get it into the pot.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I sometimes use parchment paper too (depending on my cooking vessel)

That's a nice lookin' amoebae. Taste is what really matters, but it's also nice to have it look great. How many qts is your pot? I suggest going a bit smaller to get a higher rise and less spread. What kind of flour did you use? Bread flour should produce a crisp crust - can't tell from your pics. You could send me a slice or two for further evaluation.

The crumb looks great - you have a nice variety of hole sizes and no big'uns. What I do to prevent parchment from affecting the shape of the bread is to trim it to fit the bottom of the pot, but I leave wings on opposite sides to use as handles.

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB, also - what do you make of the slices in the top of the crust? I thought they would spread and look nice, but they turned out to be extremely "Meh." What is the trick to that?

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think you scored the dough deep enough. And it looks better if you hold the blade at about 45° to the side so that the cut starts out thin and gets thicker the deeper the cut. If that is not clear, let me know and I'll try to find a video that shows what I'm trying to say.

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB loud and clear

I'm no bread expert, but it looks good to me. We are our own worst critic sometimes.....

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      au4stree thanks and you are certainly correct

Great looking bread hoovarmin ! You should be proud. The "Experts" say it's all about technique so just keep baking your favorite recipe and you'll soon be asked for "Your" advice.

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Skip!

Great looking loaf to me! Which reminds me, I need to make some bread... we are down to a half loaf of store bought organic bread, so I can use that as an excuse....

Comment

Looks good to me. A banneton can certainly help with the shape. If you don't already have one, I suggest a bread lame to slash and decorate your breads. This the one I bought off of Amazon.

Essential Tool Designed for easy handling without getting cut, once you have the Bread Bosses Bread Lame in your hand it becomes so easy to use. It boasts a sophisticated look, is built to last, and allows you to effortlessly make neat, precise scoring. An indispensable tool for any bread baker, this Bread Lame will give your loaves that professional, bakery look. Become a Bread Boss today! Read more Bread Bosses Premium-Crafted Bread Lame Complete Package The double-edged blades can be easily rotated and flipped, allowing you to completely use up all four corners before it needs to be replaced. When the blade is dull, you can easily change the blade out with one of the 10 extra blades included in the set. Additionally, a wooden storage box is included to store the blades, keeping them protected from damage, clean for use, and stored safely so you don’t get cut when reaching into the drawer. Optimal Protection When you have a tool with a blade on it, you want to keep it covered to protect yourself from cuts and prevent damage to the tool. To that end, this Bread Lame comes complete with a small leather pouch to cover the blade and prevent any incidental damage from the edges of the blade and you. This included pouch makes it easy to store the lame in a drawer without getting cut when you go to take it out. Easy-to-Clean Design Unlike other Bread Lames that are furnished with three rings at the end of the handle, this lame from Bread Boss is designed with a smooth handle for easy cleaning. This design prevents the dough flour from sticking and drying up inside the rings, allowing you to effectively clean the tool without the added mess. Read more Simple to Use Shaped to fit comfortably in your hand, the ergonomic handle gives you complete control when making your slashes to deliver absolutely beautiful sourdoughs every time. Bakers with any level of experience can enjoy a beautiful experience as they continue to make smooth cuts on the top of each loaf. Read more Precise Scoring Trying to score your bread – even with a very sharp knife – will not give you the results you’re hoping for. This Bread Lame delivers nice, clean deep slices in the dough, cutting so much better than using a knife so your homemade bread looks like it’s professionally made. In fact, it looks so amazing that others will think it came from the bakery! Read more

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for that RichieB

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      You can do that using a bamboo skewer and a double edged razor blade. That's what I did.

I think it looks great. For the no kneed I also put into a Dutch with parchment paper.

Comment

What??? That looks pretty darn great to me. next time you come up with a loaf that looks like that, just send it up TN way...

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      @kflowers head this way in your RV and let's BBQ together

Looks pretty dam good to me!

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks OG

I think that looks terrific. That slice is making my mouth water thinking about how good it must taste.

Comment

While I unnerstand that there is always room fer improvement, especially in one's own eyes,

That there is a fine lookin loaf of bread, Brother! I can bake, some, but it is not my strongest suit. Reckon I needs to work on dat... Posts like this do help to motivate me to do so, so thanks, amigo!

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      Gracias, brother Bones.!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here