Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Since every store is out of King Arthur Flour...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since every store is out of King Arthur Flour...

Anyone have other recs for all purpose flour for baking bread? Items that are on Amazon (and available) that you like? Flour mills where I can get flour directly? Thanks, and I hope everyone is doing well!

Try Anson Mills I like their goods. Haven't tried the bread flour.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll take a look, thanks!

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a cool site. Lots of neat product and recipes.

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      I grind my own flower & have about 100lbs. of wheat in 2 different varieties, about 30lbs of rye, & about 30lbs. of Einkorn wheat all sealed in air tight containers. Don't like store bought flower

Just use whatever AP flour you can get. I like King Arthur but frankly can't tell the difference in the bread. AP flour makes good bread. Unbleached is better, but these days we takes what we can get.

Comment

Try ordering straight from KA. I did and got some--it did take about three weeks though and obviously costs more because of shipping.

Comment

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        I checked today. It's unavailable.

Any AP flour will work and make good bread. I too prefer KA flour though.

I ordered from KA a few weeks ago - said unavailable but let me order anyway. I received a shipping notice the other day. In the mean time, my local stores now have KA flour. I even found some yeast today (they didn't have much) so I bought a jar for some friends - I already have some.

Comment

Bob's red mill seems to work fine. Search for flour mills in your area but be prepared to buy 25 or 50lb sacks and you might need tp pick it up yourself.

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Bob’s Red Mill has quality products

My wife picked up two bags of King Arthur unbleached all purpose flour at Publix today, as they had no bread flour. Glad to know that it should work as well as bread flour. I do still have four pounds or so of KA bread flour and about as much KA whole wheat. Gonna bake a lot of bread the next few weeks.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I use that for all my no knead breads and pizza dough. It's good flour.

• johnec00
          johnec00 commented
          Editing a comment
          Publix here had 8-10 5# bags KA AP and 2 of KA bread flour. We use the AP for most of our bread making. KA AP has 11.7% protein which is about as much as store brand bread flour.

I kept picking up a bag or two of flour every time I went to get groceries. One of the trips there was virtually no flour on the shelves, I got two different kinds that they had left. One was Gold Medal in a zip lock bag that my wife sent off to Washington because our daughter was complaining she couldn't find any. Cost me double what I paid for the flour to mail it. My wife finally told me to stop, because we had 30-40 lbs. But generally, I buy the "cheap" store brand, and we are as happy or happier with those as with the name brand flour. YMMV.

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          30lbs?? Damm.. The weavels are going to have a party at your house soon.

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          And we wonder where the TP went...

• Bogy
          Bogy commented
          Editing a comment
          I also bought 5 lbs of chocolate chips. I'm hoping for lots and lots of chocolate chip cookies. It partly came from my wife baking bread for me to break for communion on Maundy Thursday and Easter. She misunderstood the directions, and doubled the recipe, baking 4 loaves instead of 2. I had picked up another bag or 2 before she realized her mistake. Our son didn't mind helping us get rid of the extra. And, yeah, I shipped some very expensive four to the west coast.

We just used up our last King Arthur, and the last couple of rounds of pizza we opened a bag of Great Value (Walmart) all purpose from the pantry, which I bought the first day they talked about closing things in the country down - by the time I got to the store that night, all the "good" flour was gone. It's been making good pizza dough, of course, we mix it with other brands of whole wheat and semolina.

Comment

I really prefer KA flour, but if I can’t get it, I use the Gold Medal brand unbleached flour. I had a feeling that things were going to get ugly when TP began to run out, so I bought a lot. Now there is none to be found. I am down to my last 10lb bag. The only thing on my grocery store shelves is bleached all purpose flour, which I do not use.

Comment

• TheQuietOne
            TheQuietOne commented
            Editing a comment
            That's the same thing I'm seeing. None of the premium brands are in stock. Only store brand and Gold Medal AP Bleached.

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            I guess a lot of people are at home bread making with the kids to keep em entertained like I have been. Impressive how far a 2 y.o can spread a cup of flour throught out the house..

I managed to snag a pack of six 5 lb bags of KA Unbleached Organic AP from Amazon the other day - it will arrive Saturday they say. Wasn't cheap, but really not that much more than the store for that type, but I wouldn't pay extra for organic normally.

FYI, if you have any Vital Wheat Gluten, you can add it to AP flour to get bread flour. Used to do that but don't bother any more. But it saves having to stock two different kinds of flours. But finding VWG is tough these days too.

Comment

I really do encourage you all to look for flour mills in your area. For example Smoking77 lists Los Angeles as their location. Well there's a mill in greater LA https://www.gristandtoll.com/covid-1...ations-update/ and they'll ship.

I was looking for a source of Turkey Red wheat flour and it's a midwest thing apparently and there are several mills including https://www.sunriseflourmill.com that seem to have some and will ship.

No, it won't be as cheap as Gold Medal, which is perfectly.... OK. But it will very likely be better flour and you're supporting people who take it seriously.
            Last edited by rickgregory; April 22, 2020, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• Smoking77
              Smoking77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the info rickgregory. Much appreciated

• Smoking77
              Smoking77 commented
              Editing a comment
              rickgregory Called Grind & Toll. They're out of most of their flours, but they said Mondays are when they restock. Will try back then. Thanks again.

I like KA when I can find it. However, I usually get 25lb bags of Bay State Milling bread flour from GFS. If I end up having to use AP flour in place of BF, I will add 1-1/2 tbl spoon of gluten for extra protein/gluten.

Comment

Smoking77 Also check smaller markets in your area. Down here Vons and Ralph's keep getting nuked, but all the smaller markets have been pretty much fully stocked after the first week of the lockdown. I went to one of the markets in my neighborhood today, and while they were out of bagged flour I got 5# of unbleached white flour from the bulk bins no prob. Same with beans, pasta, and rice.

I know some restaurants in LA were doing grocery sales, and down here restaurant supply stores have been selling to the public, especially the smaller ones. There's stuff out there, you've just got to think outside the box a bit, and maybe be willing to buy more bulk than you normally would.

Comment

Very little flour and no yeast on the shelves here in Southern Oregon. My wife did manage to find the last bag of bread flour, hidden way in the back, behind the whole wheat. I usually buy from the bulk bins at Winco, but they emptied all of those out, for safety and cleanliness I guess.
                My daughter in SF bay area asked me to send her some of the sourdough bread I've been making, but that is just too expensive. My wife already sent her 5 boxes of stuff she needed for $130 in shipping.
                Last edited by treesmacker; April 22, 2020, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here