Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make a banana bread so good, you’ll have to call it cake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make a banana bread so good, you’ll have to call it cake

Click image for larger version  Name:	74B2C9EC-62B2-4130-A95E-B6AB296CEFAE.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.06 MB ID:	834144

Click image for larger version  Name:	54E83726-BBF8-49F3-B53B-098F3CB8838B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.43 MB ID:	834145

Click image for larger version  Name:	8A25A2C6-09F7-46E5-B439-E6931D84F5D8.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.61 MB ID:	834146

WOW! That looks Amazing!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	F3881A37-C45B-4BD7-B1B9-36973C7DC8B6.jpeg
Views:	238
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	834150

Comment

Cool. That looks great. Looks like you doing a lot of baking at the moment. Much like I'm doing during lockdown. Not a skill I have but result have been pretty good. Have 2 sponge / vanilla cakes in the oven as I type. Lemon icing to top.
        like the look of this treat. Think it's on for tomorrow. Just get me some 'nanas I think I got the rest of the ingredients.
        Thanks for posting.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          holehogg Any chance of sharing that recipe?

• IowaGirl
          IowaGirl commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah, rum cake and banana cake/bread are two of my favorites. You're baker enough for me, Mosca!

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Mosca 1/2 cup sugar (I use castor) 1 cup butter 2 cups flour. Cream sugar and butter add flour. Roll into a sausage using cling wrap to desired diameter. Refrigerate for an hour slice into rounds and bake at 180C. They take about 9 minutes in my oven.
          I add muesli to some of my batches for extra niceness.

Never seened it done like this, afore; been a Nanner Bread fan, since probly afore I could walk. Kinda remniscient of a Pineapple Upside Down Cake, visually.

Total Game Changer/Life Changer, Very Much Appreciate that ya posted this.

I don't bake much breads, but this has created some impetus, some motivation to do so, an fer that, I thanks ya, even more, Brother!

Been slackjawin fer quite long enough, an a firm crowbar assist in th gluteal region can be a very revitalizin thang!

WTH else do I gots to do with alla this new found time, right? Carpe th friggin Diem, I'd haveta reckon...

Comment

I agree with Mr. Bones: Total game changer/ life changer. Just got in from the store (I was out of butter - gasp!! Almost as bad as running out of bacon) but looks like I will be heading back out for bananas. And I'm thinking some dark rum added to this would be over the top.
          Last edited by 58limited; April 18, 2020, 02:59 PM.

Comment

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr. Bones I like Gosling's Black Seal rum but no one around here has it anymore. Today I found some Cruzan Blackstrap rum, it might be my new favorite: good molasses taste and a little sweet. It does not taste 40 proof (which it is) so it is a little dangerous. I bought two bottles: one for the banana bread and for drinking, the other for the rumtopf I'm making.
            Last edited by 58limited; April 18, 2020, 06:15 PM.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            I want ya to know, ahm'a be all kinda rollin over in my sleep, topsy-turvy, like a summat slower version of a Whirlin Dervish (hey, I'm gittin old, lol) until I can actually taste this...
            Thanks. A. Lot.
            ' Preciate. It.
            Really.

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            58limited, here is what the recipe author has to say, and this is why Allison Robicelli is awesome: "In this cake, I’d add some rum to the sugar in the topping. Otherwise, I’d add about 2 tablespoons of rum, and use bananas that are more yellow than brown. You can always add more rum if you want! Worst case scenario you have a less-than-perfect cake that tastes like rum, and OH NO WHATEVER SHALL YOU DO."

Upside down banana cake! Looks great!

Comment

I am not a big banana fan, but this may change my mind

Comment

Oh wow. Now that is some comfort food I can get behind!

Comment

Mosca This is basically banana bread ambrosia. Here is my version with the rum. I decided not to modify anything except: I used dark brown sugar; I had 7 bananas, not 8, so 3 1/2 into the batter, 3 1/2 for the bottom (topping); and I added 1/4 tsp of powdered ginger. I meant to buy chopped pecans while at the store but forgot, I think chopped pecans would be great in this.

For the rum: 1/4 cup into the batter, 1/8 cup into the topping. Here it is - tastes amazing, thanks for posting this recipe!

Fresh out of the oven.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3086.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.08 MB ID:	834816

On the cutting board - the bottom was covered in bananas but some floated up into the batter.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3087.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1,009.5 KB ID:	834814

Yum! So moist! Rum is in the background, could pour more over it and let set for a day or two but bananas are rather perishable so I'll eat what I can and give the rest to friends and staff.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_3088.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.23 MB ID:	834815
                Last edited by 58limited; April 19, 2020, 02:27 PM.

Comment

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  58limited, here is what the recipe author has to say, and this is why Allison Robicelli is awesome: "In this cake, I’d add some rum to the sugar in the topping. Otherwise, I’d add about 2 tablespoons of rum, and use bananas that are more yellow than brown. You can always add more rum if you want! Worst case scenario you have a less-than-perfect cake that tastes like rum, and OH NO WHATEVER SHALL YOU DO."

• treesmacker
                  treesmacker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mosca I want to apologize for posting my sourdough below on your post. I meant to post it as a new subject on the baking channel. I musta just been too tired that evening to do it right. I wonder if it is possible to move a post - I wouldn't know how to go about it.

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You should leave it here and also start a new topic. Give more complete instruction as your justification. Say that people were asking about it, like I just did.

Sourdough...
                • Banana Bread loaf
                • Three shapes of beer rye
                The last two pics show how I'm baking them; last loaf still in oven and I just uncovered it. I use the 6 qt dutch oven upside down; it puts cool little dents in the bottom crust.

I think I'm getting the hang of this... two out of four loafs look to be exactly what I want.

Name:	20200418_205042.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	835552Click image for larger version

Name:	20200420_223310.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	835553Click image for larger version

Name:	20200420_223119.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	835554Click image for larger version

Name:	20200420_223147.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	835555Click image for larger version

Name:	20200420_223154.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	835556Click image for larger version

Name:	20200420_223022.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	835557Click image for larger version

Name:	20200420_223032.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	835558Click image for larger version

Name:	20200420_230156.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	835559Click image for larger version

Name:	20200420_230159.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	835560

Comment

Here's that last loaf - just came out at 11:15 PM - good night to all!

Name:	20200420_231939.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	835564Click image for larger version

Name:	20200420_232110.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	835565

Comment

My daughter and I made it yesterday. Wow was it good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here