Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jamaican and Belizean Beef Patties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jamaican and Belizean Beef Patties

I always loved Jamaican and Belizean Street Food. When I was in the Air Force I was stationed for 8 weeks with the Jamaican Air Force in Moneague Jamaica. I loved the people, Culture and of course the the food there. I was amazed at how similar the patties were in Belize City as well...So this is my first attempt at making them...A little dry the first time around but now I know how to fix that.

So we're at home, Quarantined in the Caribbean of the mind...Cheers!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3820.jpeg
Views:	308
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	829960Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3821.jpeg
Views:	312
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	829959Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3832.jpeg
Views:	327
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	829958

They're a staple in this house too, store brought though.
    Some brands are better than others.
    We have found a brand the closest to island time here.
    Never even considered making them so good on you for giving it a shot.

Comment

They are called empanadas here in Argentina and the National pride. (Most Argentine's think the empanada is unique to Argentina)... It's a cornish pasty ...... available in many countries around the world.. Yours look great . We add olives and add pork fat to spruce em up a bit down here ...

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        I've had them in Argentina and Brazil. One thing you have to watch out for is the olive still has its pit in it. There was also something else, that came in a clay pot with a crust on top. Loved them both but watch out for the Pit!

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        But HawkerXP You’re in the Pit. 🤔

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Never known Caribbean patties to have whole olives in them, must be the Portuguese influence in in S. America.

Beautiful. I made them a couple of times many years ago. They came out good. I lost the cookbook with the recipe in it in the divorce. I've recently been thinking about finding a recipe on the Google and giving it another shot.
      Last edited by Dewesq55; April 11, 2020, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Those look wonderful.

We have a local restaurant here that has been doing terrific patties for at least the last 20 years, so I've never tried to do them on my own. And when I go there, I also can't resist getting some of their cocoa bread.

Comment

In Spain the little 1/2 moon pies are called empanadillas and the large ones made on a sheet pan are empanadas.
          Not trying to split hairs but I've never made them on a grill. I'm gonna try one in my Hasty Bake . Any advice as to temp? Cooking time? Indirect or direct? Thanks!

Comment

Those look great. Can you post the recipe?

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Ditto that.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Ditto, please....

Man, I love Belize. Such a great place. Awesome people and great food.

Comment

I fifth (??) the request for a good recipe. My wife has been eating a ton of these from the store, so it'd be a good thing for us to try and make from scratch, and it is always more fun to use a recipe from the Pit versus a random so-called "cook"

Comment

I love these type of beef patties or empanadas as you may call them.
                Yours look great. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

There are a few awesome Jamaican places in Orlando that make a variety of patties. Heading into town this morning and gonna' pick up a few.

Comment

fzxdoc Mr. Bones STEbbq @58limited
                    I looked up several recipes and videos from Jamaican people only. I used a combination of several. Of course I didn't write it down...I did use Jamaican Curry powder in the flour, Scotch Bonnet and a little All Spice in the the meat. I remember most of the recipes were somewhat similar...So as a matter of preference, follow the one or ones you like.
                    Last edited by troymeister; July 31, 2021, 09:03 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Many Thanks fer th advise, Brother;
                      Jus like when I was tasked with a particularly onerous mission, fer my Squad, in th Service: "I will find a way, or I will MAKE a way, Sir!!!!

• fzxdoc
                      fzxdoc commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks! I'll go a-googling...

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here