Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish Soda Bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irish Soda Bread

I used the Serious Eats recipe here. It's delicious warm from the oven with Irish butter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200315_163943-01.jpeg
Views:	167
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	815554
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200315_164105-01.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	815555

Thanks Dewesq55. I'm on it if I can find buttermilk.🤬

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      If you can't find buttermilk, you can substitute one cup of milk with a tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice mixed in. My daughter has also successfully substituted plain yogurt thinned with milk.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thunder77 - Yes, but if you read the actual instructions, she suggest that for this recipe, you need/want the viscosity of the real thing, not a substitute. The dough is very wet and any change in viscosity can make it too soft to shape in the pot

Nice Bread David! You are ready for St Patrick's Day.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Skip . I made it yesterday as we were supposed to go to Barbara's mother last night for corned beef and cabbage. But Barbara and her daughter both work in the same local hospital and were worried about possibly infecting her mother who is 85, so they cancelled on me. I didn't know 'til it was in the oven.

Did you use a skillet for the lid like they show, or does it matter? I may make that with some Guinness Beef stew. Thanks for the link. Your bread looks delicious.

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info, Dewesq55 . I probably won't rush to purchase the pan, probably using the cast iron enamel dutch oven I already have. I'm assuming yours is the 4 qt size?

K.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc - I'm not sure, Kathryn. It's an off brand. It might be 5 qts. It's 9½ inches across the top and a tad over 8" across the bottom on the inside. The dough is ultra sticky. It's 120% hydration - I think that's technically a batter - but I was able to sort of shape it in the pot by using a silicone spatula. Don't forget the parchment paper!
      Last edited by Dewesq55; March 16, 2020, 10:36 AM.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much, Dewesq55 . I'll be eating your dust in this bread cook. Not a bad place to be.

Kathryn

Fantastic. I finally made a bread this weekend.... 2nd ever in 63 years. It turned out ok not anything like yours. I am going to give it a shot! Thanks for the post and recipe.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      DiverDriver - I made my first ever lsuccessful loaf of bread at the beginning of January after 3 miserably failed attempts a little over a year ago. I'm about to turn 65. It's never too late. Congrats on your second loaf. What recipe did you use? Now make a third one and try to improve the parts you weren't happy with. And post pictures here for us all to see!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here