Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second Attempt at Tartine Country Loaf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second Attempt at Tartine Country Loaf

This boule came out much better. I think it was a bit overproofed since it flattened out like a pancake when I took it out of the banneton, but it had some good oven spring, it seems.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200211_220421-02.jpeg
Views:	237
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	802168

That looks fantastic! Nothing like the satisfaction of making and eating a good loaf. I’d take that loaf and some butter over dessert any day.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I'm pretty pleased with myself, to be honest.

Looks great! If only we could get a whiff.

Comment

That looks pretty awesome! I have that Tartine book. I’m going to actually have to read it.

Comment

Looks like you got good oven spring! Regarding proofing the dough: I use the finger dent test. I poke a finger about 3/4” into the dough. If it springs back all the way quickly, it’s not ready yet. If it springs back slowly almost but not quite all the way, it’s ready.

Also, rough handling coming out of the banneton can deflate it a little bit.

Keep up the nice work!

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thunder77 - I did the finger poke test and it was ready after 2 hours in the basket. The problem was that I wasn't anticipating that and I needed the oven right then to cook dinner. So the bread got an additional hour and a half or so of room temperature proofing time, which I think was a little too much. Thanks for the suggestions, though. I don't think I was too rough with it taking it out of the basket. I used the liner again, but floured it much more and the bread came out easily.

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have done that very same thing myself. Oops! Dough is ready but oven is not! In any case, it looks like you are turning out some great bread. 😎
          Last edited by Thunder77; February 12, 2020, 11:20 AM.

Definitely a better looking loaf than my first couple of attempts. My tartine country loaves always flatten out when I transfer them to the combo cooker too. This recipe seems to rely on good oven spring which is probably why my best loaves came from using starter that was being fed twice daily instead of once daily. I would love a slice of that right now! My bread project is on hold until I'm done moving so thanks for the pics

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          jhapka - I have seen Tartine loaves on YouTube that appear to hold their height/shape on transfer to the pot much better than mine did. That's why I'm assuming that it was a little overproofed, but perhaps not. Thanks for the kind words. My leaven was good and active. I think the starter I used to build my first leaven was a bit past it's prime stage, so it took much longer for the leaven to become active. This one was raring to go when I got up in the morning.

Great lookin' bread.

Comment

I had one like that, and it turned out to be very good. Enjoy!!

Comment

As I had mentioned another place, Beautiful Loaf, really looks like you gained some confidence in baking a bit longer, don't hesitate to try it further if you want. You really can not ruin a loaf of sour dough if you are trying for different results and how to get there. Notice I did not say better results, as that is in the maker and the taster. But, knowing how to get a different bake is good to learn as well. Keep loving up on it like you are!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here