Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

German bread - Vollkornbrot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German bread - Vollkornbrot

After having and liking some dense German breads, this was one I had to try making, sounded like the best (or most unique) of them all, Vollkornbrot. Made with buttermilk and beer, sounded good! I actually found Einkorn flour at a co-op to use, and also Kamut berries in place of wheat. Also has sunflower, flax, and sesame seeds. It specified both whole and cracked wheat (Kamut - my substitution). The preferment was to be 8-24 hours, and the berries were supposed to be soft by then. I cooked the whole Kamut berries anyway, thought the cracked ones would be fine, but they still turned out a bit hard after 14 hours of preferment. Cracking the berries took some effort with my meat hammer. It certainly turned out dense, but not really flavorful like I thought. Variations use rye. Needs jam, cheese or meat on top - not that great on it's own. I think one slice has enough seeds to give you diverticulitis by itself! The knife I bought for briskets continues to shine in other areas.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200208_180355.jpg Views:	35 Size:	4.20 MB ID:	801763
    Last edited by Henrik; February 11, 2020, 09:50 AM.

Sounds good, but looks like particleboard...

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like it might have had the same characteristics! 🙄

You need one more 'L' in that word. Germans are fond of compound words, and this one translates literally into 'whole wheat bread'. I don't believe I have tried it. There are a lot of recipes for it, maybe you can find another you like better.

Comment

Nail a slice to a tree and see if the birds like it.

Comment

Looks good! We have a lot of German heritage in Sweden (from the Hansa period way back), so we always have this type of bread available in Sweden. I'm a big fan of vollkorn (whole wheat). It keeps you full for hours. Good stuff!

Comment

• DiverDriver
          DiverDriver commented
          Editing a comment
          I buy that type bread in Curacao. It is a Dutch variant very "malty" and awesome toasted. Supposedly very healthy.. ?

Damn, looks like you could hammer nails all day long with a slice of that. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaawohl

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here