Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dense & Heavy Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dense & Heavy Results

I did another couple of loaves of the K.A. VT. Honey Oats bread yesterday. The taste is fine, but I noticed they were heavy. Today I cut into one and had a couple of slices.I add butter, toast them and spread a blueberry jam. They were dense as well as heavy. Again, tasted great. So I googled it as the only thing I did different is reduce the time in the stand mixer. It calls for 5 to 7 minitues. I did 5. Last time it was 7. I do put the timer on. I believe I got my answer. This shows a few items that could cause this. Pretty sure the 1st one is my issue. Let a rookie learn.

When baking the perfect loaf of bread you usually imagine it with a golden crispy crust on the outside with a soft and airy crumb…

This is a very tasty bread. I made it recently. In addition to increased kneading, I'd also recommend that you make sure you have the temperature right when you add the yeast and flour. If it's too hot, you can kill the yeast. I'm pretty sure that the last time I made it, I let the initial mix cool to about 105 and added the yeast to let it proof for 5 or 10 minutes before adding the flour. Let the mix get good and bubbly before adding flour to confirm that your yeast is alive and taking off.

Also, on most KA recipes where whole wheat flour is used, they often suggest adding ascorbic acid (Vitamin C powder, an eighth teaspoon or so) or a tablespoon of their whole grain bread improver, which is mostly just vital wheat gluten. Adding one of these would probably get you a much lighter loaf.

Comment

• RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      I did let it get to 105 per the recipe per the Thermopen. Thanks for the suggestion on waiting to add the flower. I'll do that next time. I'll also look into getting other 2 ingredients you suggested.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Vital wheat gluten might be available at your local grocery store. It's normally in the organic or healthy food section.

So, as a diabetic who is not on the Keto diet for a number of scientific reasons, but who is trying to cut his carbs, I have to say that I hate all of these bread threads. I applaud you all but hate you all at the same time. 🤗

Comment

Here are two things that should help improve your bread.

The first is the windowpane test.

The second is the finger poke test.

You should use both until you can recognize your dough is OK without using them. And it may help to go to youtube ans search for videos that show how these tests are done.

Comment

• RichieB
        RichieB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, the link I attached has a piece on the window pane test. The one you sent has much more detail to help me see the method. Great suggestion on going to YouTube. How did we survive without YouTube?

• ScottyC13
        ScottyC13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here