Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No-knead bread 1st try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No-knead bread 1st try

Dewesq55 After drooling on my iPad after seeing the no-knead bread that you and others here have posted, I decided to give it a try. I found neglected 5qt ci Dutch oven in the basement that I cleaned and seasoned for a baking vessel. I followed the Lahey recipe as he seems to have down to a tried and true one. The kitchen is a bit cool in the winter, 67 deg so I let the dough rise next to my bunn coffee maker which kept it about 70. Twenty two hours for 1st rise and three for the second. Into the ci preheated to 450 for 30 min with the lid, 10 min with the lid off to finish. Thanks for the inspiration to try something new when it to cold to cook outside. Click image for larger version

Name:	87ACF8D8-9B3A-4F77-AF12-02748D12E655.jpeg
Views:	239
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	796134Click image for larger version

Name:	DAAA188A-2650-4FCD-84A7-91DD06DB812F.jpeg
Views:	288
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	796133

Looks great, I would up the temp a bit to 475, and when you take the lid off, have the confidence to go 20-25 minutes if you would like a bit darker and "bark"ier (stealing from smoking) crust. Looks excellent!

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
      Oakgrovebacon commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I will experiment with more.

That looks like a great bake. You need to follow the recipe for the bread, but baking time is a bit flexible depending on how dark you like it. It will turn black before it dries out inside, so don't worry about that and go as dark as you would like.

Comment

We had some for lunch just now and it was good with a chewy crust. I think this will be an every weekend cook. I will try a little darker next one. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Great looking bread! That was the first thing I made with my Lodge dutch oven last summer. I need to make more. I think I went 30 with the lid on, and 20-30 with it off, but forget the temp - think it was 450.
        Last edited by jfmorris; January 26, 2020, 07:31 PM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          Your post last summer was the bug that bit me!

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Richard Chrz you took the bread I made and really ran with it! I’ve made at most a half dozen loaves, and you crank it out multiple times a week it seems like! In fact, you just inspired me to go mix up a no knead batch and let it sit on the counter overnight....

Great bread Oakgrovebacon ! I proclaim you bitten by the Bread Bug! We are glad to have you here.

Comment

Great looking loaf Oakgrovebacon . I'm glad I could inspire you to give it a try. Next time I might go 5 minutes longer without the lid, but it looks fine the way it is. How did the crumb turn out?

Comment

Taste was spot on. Bread was a little dense, it did not have big open air holes.i think next one gets just a little more water as the dough was not "sticky or shaggy"

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              I have used up to about 2 tbsps of additional water off there is still a little dry flour in the bowl after mixing. Other than that, I would stick strictly to the 75% hydration. Make sure you weigh your flour AND WATER and do it in grams.

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              Also, when I recently scaled the recipe up 25% there were few, if any, large holes, but I thought the crumb was perfect. It was better for things like sandwiches and French toast than the loaf with the big holes.

• Oakgrovebacon
              Oakgrovebacon commented
              Editing a comment
              I was thinking 1 tablespoon extra for next try.

One of the good things about making bread is that, unless you really screw it up, you can still eat the mistakes.

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
              Oakgrovebacon commented
              Editing a comment
              I have eaten several mistakes over the years, But usually did not save the leftovers for the next day.
              My wife is cooking several things in an Instant pot this winter and had some green beans that were quite crisp and crunchy. 2 Min under pressure was recommended - too crisp-for our taste. But our vegetable eating dog enjoyed them.
              Last edited by Oakgrovebacon; January 27, 2020, 04:38 PM.

My wife and I don’t eat much bread to warrant me making any.
            But I will say that is an outstanding first attempt.
            Nicely done. 👊

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
              Oakgrovebacon commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks - it was tasty

Just as in BBQ, using a thermometer is a key step to consistent greatness. Here's a good article by King Arthur, written in the Kenji investigative style, that's better explains the differences internal temperatures make.

Also while your at it, get a digital scale that's reads in grams and weigh your ingredients and get used to using baker's percentages. Big difference in repeatability.

THUMP THUMP THUMP. Yeast bread bakers have traditionally tested their loaves for doneness by tapping on the bottom and listening for a distinctive hollow thump: a perfectly good method. But for those of us who don't like juggling blistering hot loaves in order to get at their bottoms for the thump test, there's another method: taking the bread's internal temperature. Using a thermometer with yeast bread not only saves you the "hot potato" juggle, it offers excellent guidance — if you know how to interpret your temperature results.

Still congratulations, great looking bread and I tend toward 450 cover on for 20-25, cover off for 10-15.

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
              Oakgrovebacon commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the info - read through the link - very informative. I plan on another loaf this weekend. My work schedule during the week makes it more difficult to time the rise portion of this.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here