Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issues with My Starter Ben

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues with My Starter Ben

I'm hoping that some one or more of you with more experience working with a sourdough starter can either help me out, or at least reassure me.

My starter is poolish, a/k/a 100% hydration. I started it small with 100 g of filtered water and 100 g of 50/50 mix of white AP and whole wheat flours. It became noticeably active after about 72 hours. That evening, I discarded all but 50g and fed with 100g of water and 100g of the same flour mix. The starter reacted great, rising to about double the volume overnight and being very bubbly and active. When I fed it again the next night, the starter I removed was full of gas bubbles. I again removed 80% and fed with 100g of water and 100g of flour mix (always the same mix which I had mixed up a large amount of at the beginning of the journey. This time, the response was sluggish. a very slight rise - about 1/8-1/4 inch on the container based on the rubber band marker after 12 hours. After 24 hours, it was the same, with a very small amount of alcohol (hooch?) on the top. I poured off the hooch, discarded 80% of the starter and again fed with 100g of water and 100g of flour mix. I also placed the starter in my oven with the light on to keep it warmer as it was pretty cold and drafty in my kitchen over night. This time there was another very minimal rise and after 24 hours, there was again hooch on the top, this time slightly more by volume. This was last evening. I again poured off the hooch. This time I only discarded about 100 g of the starter, leaving behind 125g. I fed with 125 g of water and 125g of the same flour mix. I left the starter in the oven, but turned the light off (it had been on and the oven was warm) because I was concerned with the light making it too warm. This morning (12 hours) there was almost no rise, but there were a few bubbles on the top but not really any visible along the side of the jar. I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong, or if the culture, being so new, is just doing a natural struggle to establish a strong and balanced existence. Any help, advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Here's a few suggestions to take or leave. First, if you discard all but 50 grams, match it with the same weight each of flour and water; 50 grams water, 50 grams flour for a 100% hydration starter. Are you allowing air to reach your starter while it ferments? I use a Bunn-type coffee filter and rubber band it as a lid. I've read, but not tried, adding the hooch back in as an additional component when feeding rather than discard. Hope that helps.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      The way I was doing it was still 100% hydration because the 50g of residual starter was 100%. But I take your point. My feeding last evening I went to a 1:1:1 ratio starter to water to flour by leaving more starter in the jar.

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree, match with 50 grams water 50 flour. I would also only use one type of flour for a Be careful on the oven light thing. I would recommend that you also start (for maybe 20 -30 days or any real temp changes in a house (summer, Winter, Fall, Spring) check your temp of your starter after you feed it, and then again before you discard all but 50. and start looking at temp drops and make adjustments with water temp. I have had a starter come out of an oven light and saw it in the 100's

If I am understanding your post you pre mixed a large batch of the flour and water, I think it might start some fermenting naturally and could cause trouble. I also just mix the hootch back in but I don't know it make a big difference. Use a thermometer and be sure your not cooking the starter in the oven with the light on. In my oven I sometimes have to crack the door.

Comment

Originally posted by SMOG MAN View Post
      If I am understanding your post you pre mixed a large batch of the flour and water, I think it might start some fermenting naturally and could cause trouble. I also just mix the hootch back in but I don't know it make a big difference. Use a thermometer and be sure your not cooking the starter in the oven with the light on. In my oven I sometimes have to crack the door.
      No, just the flour. I didn't premix any water.

Comment

First, from what I have read, mixing the hooch back in will give you more tang when you make bread.

It sounds to me like you are removing too much starter, (or adding too much flour and water as mentioned above). That will retard the process and it will take longer to return to very active. I'd give it a few days to recover and see if it becomes more active.

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          My earlier feedings were 20% starter and up percent for and water. There's plenty of authority for that, particularly including Chad Robertson. That said, I did change it up there last getting. I would love to know why it is producing alcohol every day

Dump, feed, repeat... I wouldn't worry about the temp too much. You can get really precise about the water temperature, the air temperature, what kind of flour... In the end though dump, feed, repeat. It just always takes longer than you want then one day bang it's good. 125% water down to 60% water. As long as you keep at it it will work.

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. I was hoping someone would say that.

So I just got home from court after a very long day of trial to find Been looking quite a bit better. He is obviously active, although the bubbles were rather small and foamy. He want ridden very much, but could have risen and fallen during the 13 hours I was away. He had gone from a thick batter to a much more liquid battery. He has some sort offer m odor but apparently no hooch today. He read in the oven with the light in all day. I took his temperature and it was 90°F. Higher than If like, but not awful.

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          BTW, my starter's name is "Vinnie". After vinegar...aka acetic acid.

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          Willy , Could not agree more. I treat my starters like shit a lot, a few days before I bake, I show them a little loving, and they make great bread. I am sure there is exact science to the most perfect loaf that will be made by the 100's for commercial sales of artisan bakeries. But, it is a bit over stated for most of us.

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not looking to over think or baby it. I just wanted to know I was doing it basically ok. Thanks for all of the help.

I tried... Twice...faild both times. How come I can keep 4 kids alive, but not a bread making fungi?

Comment

Screw it, I'm buying starter. 4 days in, almost ready... and I preheated the oven, spacing that I had starter culture in there.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here