Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Star(ter) Is Born

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Star(ter) Is Born

Everybody, meet Ben! Here doesn't to life yesterday, received his first feeding last night and had about a 50% increase in volume by this morning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200120_171920.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	794281

I know lots of us name our cookers. I do not, but I understand having an connection with them.
    I'm just not sure that when we name our starters maybe,just maybe a line has been crossed. And that again maybe, just maybe outside help should be investigated.
    Just wondering!

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Dewesq55 I stand corrected. I had no idea.

• DiverDriver
      DiverDriver commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha funny. I named my first 4 Kombucha Scoby's Adam, Eve, Cain and Able... BTW I am not a sicko and did not eat them like you guys.

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I jokingly tell my wife that it is time to feed the kids, I have three starters.

I found it fun and informative to place a few different rubberbands on my starters for awhile, one would be placed at the start or new feeding to see where the bottom of the feed started, and then to follow it every few hours by placing a second rubber band around the jar, to find my peak, and how long did it take me to get there. I find my starters are fully grown around 12 hours. With that knowledge, a day or two before, I will look at when I start my dough to be 12 hours after a feeding so I am starting with an active at peak starter, and move back from that, I feed it every 12 hours for a day or two to keep it super active. I think it benefits my bakes. But, again, flour protein and water temp, house temp, that will all be different in each house.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I did place a rubber band at the start of the feed cycle

When I was little, my aunt had a starter she named Herman. She would always make a big production out of waking up Herman to make bread, we kids loved it! Our current starter began its life about 10 years ago as a San Francisco sourdough we named Franny. Now that we live in Mt Shasta and the local yeast colonies have taken over we renamed her Luna for the Lemurians that dwell within the Mountain. Luna makes mighty fine bread and pizza dough.

Comment

• Dick Anderson
      Dick Anderson commented
      Editing a comment
      So CaptainMike, Would you say Luna is lighter than Franny? Maybe so much as to levitate? I remember pancakes at a cafe in Mt. Shasta that claimed to be the world's lightest.

Ok I’m lost. Wouldn’t be the first time. 😁
    What the heck is a starter and what are you talking about. 🤔🥴🤷🏼‍♂️

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      A "starter" is a natural yeast culture that is created by mixing together flour and water and letting it sit at room temperature for a few days until the yeast culture and symbiotic bacteria, mostly lactobacillus, develope and start digesting the flour into carbon dioxide and alcohol. You can then use this starter to leaven bread or other dough. This is often called a sour dough starter, though it needn't be sour.

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Aahh. I thought it had something to do with bread but wasn’t sure.
      Thanks for the info Dewesq55

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here