Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide sourdough... starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide sourdough... starter

That's right... SV sourdough starter.

Here's the thing... I'm single so I keep the house cool. Around 60F except for the room I'm in which I space heat to about 70F (I have a 3br house). Any night, things cool off to the low 50s. This is NOT ideal for getting a starter going - they like temps closer to 80F.

Now, what is SV good at? right. Maintaining a temp. Sp I have some water in a small cambo, got it to 80F with the Anova and put in a jar with flour and water. Will it work? Will it explode? Will the yeast take over and kick me out?

I'll let you know.

Could buy another space heater for one of your spare bedrooms and make it your "Sourdough" room.

Comment

Well, that should work fine but if you have it in a mason jar don't put the lid on tight. Another option is just turn the light on in your oven and leave it in there, it should stay warm enough for it to ferment. My oven stays about 78 with the light on.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Brilliant.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what Mom did.

Another option is to put your starter in the oven with the oven light on. That should raise the temp in the oven a bit.

Comment

I'l do the light on idea overnight. I like that. Thanks!

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Good plan! (although I was kinda looking forward to pics of Poolish dripping from the ceiling 😎).

i use a seed heating mat like this one from amazon and an old styrofoam cooler. I would think you are making for an explosive situation with a sealed jar in the SV.

Comment

As stated above, don’t seal the jar as the yeast are producing CO2 gas during the process. You could use the SV as a water bath as long as the top of the container remains above water and open enough to release pressure. Or you can take the old timer’s method and sleep with it under the covers. The Yukon wasn’t known for central heating during the gold rush.🙂

Comment

Here in the south where we have less of an issue of the house being too cool for starter or a dough rise, some folks have an item called a brisker. While it looks like an old style bread box, it's the opposite--it keeps things like crackers or chips perfectly crisp in the high humidity. We've had ours since the 80's, so I was a bit shocked to see how expensive they've become (ours was a gift from the in-laws when we were poor postdocs).

I've been wondering recently if I should make room in ours for my next dough rise. I let the temps drop to 70 when I'm home alone in the winter, so it could help. I just checked, and our brisker is holding around 90 degrees, just as someone in the Q&A section for the Amazon listing said. I'd keep the lid on loosely in one of those, though, because the yeast will be rocking and rolling at that temp.

Comment

So... sorry to disappoint but I removed the starter from the SV bath when I went to bed last night, put it in the oven with the light on and... it's very very active. Thanks for that tip.

Comment

Just make sure to replenish your starter with new flour and water. It needs to eat!

Comment

Heard of people keeping it on top of the hot water heater. Never really paid attention to ours to see if it is warmer.

Comment

I turn on the sous vide and just set the starter in a bowl on top of the lid.

Comment

• Thunder77
                      Thunder77 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Another brilliant idea!

I used a cardboard box with a light bulb in it on my counter top. It worked very well until my wife revolted and put it in the basement. I forgot about it and it became moldy.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                      Dewesq55 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      😯☹️😭

So I've got it in the oven with the light on and it's quite... healthy shall we say. The main problem for me is remembering that it's in there so I don't preheat the oven and kill it. It's not really starter yet, but it's on its way. Thanks for the help all.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                      Dewesq55 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I just fed mine and was going to put it in the oven with the light on, then remembered I am reheating some Sicilian pizza slices for dinner.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here