Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Adventure Begins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Adventure Begins!

Well, I just mixed up my first ever attempt to create a wild yeast starter. It (hopefully) will be a poolish. First I mixed together 250 g whole wheat and 250 g unbleached white. Then I put 100 g room temperature filtered water in a 1 qt widemouth mason jar and added 100 g of the flour mix and stirred it until it was well combined with no dry flour in the mix. I laid the sealing disk for the mason jar loosely on top and put it in a place it won't be either forgotten or disturbed. I have a name picked out for after it (fingers crossed) comes to life. Wish me luck!
    Last edited by Dewesq55; January 17, 2020, 06:10 PM.

100 g of the floor mix.....................that should be different!

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Correction made! 😁

Darn it. I thought you were going to swim around the world! Good luck = Good bread.

Comment

I’m pretty sure when I had a starter, it didn’t matter if I screwed the top on or not. Someone else can confirm. But I’m pretty sure.

delicious bread ahead!!!

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Chef Jacob says the "it needs to breathe" stuff is a myth, but there's no need to tempt fate. Thanks for the well-wishes!

My own experiments in starter, I find having a tight lid does better, but, that could be my kitchen, my house temp, the bacteria in my house, flour protein level I use..... etc.. all the variable. I just found a tighter jar gave a more humid atmosphere and retaining more heat. But, I am sure a 1,000,000 other people have found it to be better loose. That is the fun of this, you have to work with in your environment. Don't take the books so for gold. Learn a bit of the basics, and then adapt them time and temp to work to your schedule. I promise you, my ferment schedules would baffle bread makers, but, I have built a schedule that works for my schedule. and that is adjust temp to match my time line. … Enjoy! Cant wait to see your sourdough bakes. My starters are super resilient, there are days I do not feed them, lazy, or just not even caring. some times I do double feedings…
      Last edited by Richard Chrz; January 17, 2020, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Dewesq55 if it is a day or 2, I would not sweat it. It just may take an extra, double feeding, every 12 hours for a day or two. if more then that, just throw it in the fridge. P.S. I leave 50 grams of starter, add 40-50 grams water depending on what it looks like it needs, and then 50 grams flour. For awhile put rubber bands on my container, to track peak height, and when it got there, then I know where it is most active and will work my feeding to be there when using it to bake Hence 12 hours.
        Last edited by Richard Chrz; January 17, 2020, 08:34 PM.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Richard Chrz Thanks for all of the tips. I can't promise I will stick with this long term. I could be perfectly happy just baking a loaf of the Jim Lahey no-knead bread every week. But my curious nature wouldn't let me not try it out.

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Dewesq55 I can't promise I will make another loaf either. I am just trying to learn different parts of cooking, bread is fun. But, it is way too much work. I'd rather smoke a brisket every day. But, bread is cheaper, and it is a fun and tasty learning experiment. I am sure come summer, I will switch gears and focus my practice of learning to another style or form of cooking. But, so far, it is fun, and my friends love free or donation based bread. For me, learning is the journey of life.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here