Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The monetary cost of baking your own vs buying from a bakery or supermarket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The monetary cost of baking your own vs buying from a bakery or supermarket

I attempted a couple of searches and didn't find anything, though I seem to remember someone (perhaps me) asking this question.

Minus the costs of early attempts and new style attempts, is baking your own bread actually cheaper than purchasing already baked bread? I looked at a blog or three which compared the costs (and it was cheaper) but I wanted to ask your opinions.
    I see photos of your bakes, and they are darn impressive. I figure you know what you are doing.

It depends on what you think your time is worth and how you enjoy spending your time. Ingredient for ingredient home baked is waaay cheaper, but if you add the value of your time in the strictest sense there's no comparison to store/bakery purchased.

Personally, I enjoy the creative process of making and baking bread and pizza dough so it is its own reward. Plus, in doing your own it approaches artisanal quality whereas store bought is, well, store bought. It's important to note that I am retired and therefore not under the normal earning-a-living restraints of mere mortals.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      mere mortals, lol love that part.

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on retirement! I've been retired for 2 years and feel better than I have in many years. When the biggest stress you face is how the bread is going to turn out, you have arrived!

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Amen brother Oak Smoke After almost 30 years in public safety it took me 2 years to shake off the anxiety and hyper vigilance, but man, once that burden eased it's been smooth sailing. I have tried work, and I have tried retirement; retirement is waaaaayyyyy better!

Here you go! I did that! Post #515 from "How to make sourdough bread". I grabbed a screenshot here! You’re welcome 🤣
    Attached Files

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      So, no value for your time put in? After all time is currency.

Thanks scottranda ! I knew I had seen this somewhere haha! I tried "cost of baking bread" or similar and didn't find this

CaptainMike , I enjoy cooking, and so I don't count my own time. If I did that I would have to quit hunting and fishing! Thanks for the response

Comment

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      Even not counting the value of my time, venison and turkey are the 2 most expensive meats I consume.

Cost is one thing. Quality is another, & in many cases much more than a simple "another". You could be getting all sorts of extras you may not want if you knew what the other ingredients such as preservatives, sugar, etc. are. Home made usually doesn’t include lab contents. 🕶

Comment

The cost, aside from ingredients, could be in equipment (proofing baskets, baking vessels, mixers, grain mills, etc).

But for someone who doesn't go crazy with that stuff it's pretty cheap and it's fun.

Comment

Not sure you can put a price on a warm slice of home made bread dressed with creamy butter fresh out of the oven.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Ya got me drooling just thinking about it....

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Dang it! Now I gotta make bread this weekend. It's been waaaay too long since I had a slice out of the oven.

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          @smokinfool's response to buttered fresh bread reminds me of Pavlovs response.

Unless someone in your house is gluten intolerant. "Man blah blah blah live by bread alone." Love fresh bread. But love beer more. Something has to go...… bye bye bread.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahahahaha!!!

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          Love bread, love beer more. I knew I liked you for a reason

• Porkies
          Porkies commented
          Editing a comment
          There is always the gluten free option! I looked up the flour and it is a bit more expensive, but really not bad considering how many loaves can be made.

I wonder if the pbc can do bread?

Like others has said it has to be cheaper. But what is most important it is WAY better for you.

Comment

yes much more nutritious

Comment

A basic bread recipe only has 4 ingredients - all purpose flour, salt, water and yeast. Even the "good" flour like King Arthur is only a few bucks a bag, active dry yeast is a couple of bucks per jar. You get a LOT of loaves of bread from that minimal investment. The no-knead bread I've been making just takes 5 minutes of prep time, a 12 to 18 hour rise time, then drop it in a pre-heated dutch oven at 450F, and an hour later, you have bread, nice and crusty, and with none of the crap that is on the list of ingredients of most store bought bread.

Comment

• mnavarre
              mnavarre commented
              Editing a comment
              This. Also most no knead recipes are between 65-70% hydration, which is a pretty easy ballpark for a dough that's fairly easy to work with & form, but still has a nice crumb. Really easy, makes great bread, and you don't need a bunch of equipment.

I would never spend this much to buy bread or anything baked, or grilled from a store, a restaurant, or... it is not about money to me (I am no way well off, for me it is about being involved in the process of my life. that is kind of priceless.

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              And that is why you are one of my heroes.

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for the kind words CaptainMike Not sure I am worthy of being a hero. But, thank you! I enjoy everyones cooks on here, and learn a bit from everyone of you in your postings!

• parkerj2
              parkerj2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Richard Chrz i completely agree. I don't like to co-opt every single part of my life to a long list of corporations that promise convenience, especially for the sake of my health.

If I tried to make a living making bread, I would most likely be broke all the time. I bake because it is a rewarding and fulfilling pastime. I like to make people happy, and my bread makes people happy. So I bake bread and I love it!

And I also know EXACTLY what is going into my bread, because I put it there.
            Last edited by Thunder77; January 6, 2020, 08:20 PM.

Comment

putting aside the health and wellness arguments of knowing exactly what is in the bread, a good "artisan" loaf around here is going to cost me at least 4 or 5 bucks, more if I want something outside the usual sourdough or ciabatta. so for me even with time and materials its definitely worth it for me to make a loaf or 2 on the weekend. And time-wise let's be honest it is not a lot of hands-on work time. even though the entire process can take many hours your actual working time is probably less than 30 minutes and that includes clean up.

Comment

• THE Humble Texan
                THE Humble Texan commented
                Editing a comment
                And this begs the question....What is our time in front of the TV worth?

• rickgregory
                rickgregory commented
                Editing a comment
                THE Humble Texan - depends. Is it football season?

• mnavarre
                mnavarre commented
                Editing a comment
                @rickgregory I can see the TV from the kitchen, even during hockey season.

Of course it's cheaper to make your own bread and rolls. No boat, no Harley, no fishing or hunting just because I don't know how. Cooking and Bread Baking are my main hobbies so the cost of ANYTHING AT ALL to do with that is irrelevant. Also note that this is cheaper on the MCS epidemic that seems to run rampant on this site. Lol. Sorry for the rant! Lol again.

Comment

• ofelles
                ofelles commented
                Editing a comment
                Having run my car on road courses for a hobby for years, yes this is MUCH cheaper. And if it's your passion cost is justifiable mostly.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here