Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

English Muffins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English Muffins

I've been wanting to make some English muffins for a while. Baking Steel sent a recipe for them recently in an email. I made the dough yesterday and "baked" them today. Baked is in quotations because they are actually fried on the stove top. They are very easy to make because you need no special equipment although a scale would help greatly. There is only a short kneading by hand and then you let the dough rest at least a few hours and you can go up to several days before cooking.

They came out very tasty and better than the national brands I have had. I didn't get all the "nooks and crannies" I had hoped for because I worked the dough too much, but as I said, they tasted great. I didn't think to take a photo until most were wrapped and in the freezer, but here is a shot of one below the link to the recipe. Edit to add that I cooked mine in a CI pan.

Best english muffin recipe. For the perfect bake, coat the dough in semolina & cook on the Baking Steel Griddle with clarified butter. Get the recipe.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20191129_204655[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.44 MB ID:	774545
    Last edited by RonB; November 29, 2019, 08:12 PM.

Yup, looks just like MacDonalds. Mighty fine! 😎

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, and I hope your wife is doing well.

I used to make these a long time ago. I'll have to try them again, now that you've provided a good recipe. Thanks!

Comment

Oooh. That looks good!

Comment

I just made English muffins a couple weeks ago and bagels before that. the bagels turned out better than bought, the English muffins were denser than I wanted. I am making soft pretzels tonight, will see how they turn out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191110_163327.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	774554

Name:	20191102_045207 (1).jpg
Views:	177
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	774555

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          It's hard to get decent bagels in my area. Every "artisan" bread product around here seems to be very similar except in shape.
          The recipe posted above is really easy. Give it a try. And please post pics of your pretzels.

• Razor
          Razor commented
          Editing a comment
          What bagel recipe did you use?

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Razor - not sure if you meant me of Mark V, but my recipe is in the original post above.

Pretzels are done, not bad! First time for me. Really bad job shaping them! Taste good though.

Name:	20191129_222903.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	774569

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          NIce. I gave up on the pretzel shape and just make logs now....

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here