Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheat bread lack of rise issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheat bread lack of rise issue.

I'm new to bread baking. I got a Kitchen Aid mixer as a gift, so I thought I'd give it a try. I tried to make the recipe below twice. The first time, it didn't rise enough because the house was cold and I was too impatient. It tasted great but was a little cake-like.

The second time, I got the yeast to proof using the yeast recipe and not the bread recipe. It looked fine as it frothed up and doubled in size. I mixed it with the rest of the liquids then with the dry ingredients and kneaded per the recipe.

For the first proofing rise, I put the bowl in a pan with warm water to help it rise. It definitely doubled in size in about 90 minutes. Then I put it in the loaf pan and back in the water bath. The water was about 80-85F.

It rose in the loaf pan to about an inch above the top of the pan, which the recipe said was enough. But when I baked it, it deflated a bit and was only barely about the loaf pan rim. I used a scale to weigh all the ingredients and I am confident the weights were correct.

I was just wondering if anyone knows what else may have gone wrong.

This moist, close-grained, whole-wheat sandwich loaf is ideal for sandwiches, toast, French toast, and grilled cheese sandwiches.

It sounds like you over proofed the dough. I wouldn't use a warm water bath at all - just give it more time. You want to put the dough in the oven just before it reaches peak rise. After it reaches peak rise it will start to fall, so ideally it will be best to bake it just before that happens. And whole wheat will not rise as much as white flour anyway.
    You could also try subbing about 10% white flour to help with the rise.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on subbing in some white flour if that is an option for you

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      With a room temp in the low 60s, I'd make the dough the evening before and plan on baking the following day.

• ScottyC13
      ScottyC13 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll try that

I've been making No-knead bread from a much simpler recipe, and in my case, I let the bread dough rise in a cover bowl for 12 to 18 hours, then put it in the baking pan (in my case a cast iron dutch oven). I did 100% whole wheat once, and won't do it again as it was much denser and didn't rise as much as a mix of whole wheat and all-purpose flour.

Comment

• ScottyC13
      ScottyC13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I think I will try subbing some of the whole wheat flour.

So many factors, but type of yeast can matter, time spent in fermentation can matter, I err to more the better. Proper time if using your culture, autolyse can help, when applied and how much salt ( to the gram) can make a big difference. Protein level of flour can change it. Let us know what you try and the outcomes. Never change more then one thing, and repeat your change more then once, that way you know if the change made a difference or if it was a fluke. Also, the temp that your dough gets to by using a stand mixer, vs, hand kneading, vs other manner if, the difference in temp with the heat that is built in that process can change what your water temp should be, bread is finicky, well, yeast is at least.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah. Highlight on the dont change more than one thing at a time.

I would personally not go over 2/3 whole wheat flour. But if you do, autolyse for at LEAST an hour so the flour can absorb all the water. The higher the whole grain flour content, the longer you should autolyse.

ALSO, you said you mixed the yeast with the rest of the liquids. How hot were the rest of the liquids? Too high of a temperature will kill your yeast. Additionally, I will not mix dissolved yeast with any fat until I have added some flour to the mixture.

Notes from the recipe: orange juice straight from the fridge is cold, it will slow rising time.
    I would ignore the hint about using more or less flour. Measure the ingredients by WEIGHT, not by volume; it is much more accurate.

Oh, almost forgot. If you have a spray bottle, mist the top of the bread just as you put it in the oven, and spray the inside of your oven, to generate some steam. It helps with oven spring.
    Last edited by Thunder77; November 25, 2019, 11:05 PM.

Comment

• ScottyC13
      ScottyC13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Great tips, thanks!

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally agree with Thunder77. Too much Whole Wheat Flour can be a challenge.

I agree that you probably over proofed it. Skip the water baths and just shoot for an initial dough temperature around 74-75 degrees. It might take longer to ferment, but that's good! A longer, slower ferment gives more flavor. I'm also not a fan of proofing the yeast, for the most part. It made sense back when you didn't know what condition your yeast was in, but with modern dried yeast it's not really necessary. Especially with all the sugar and the orange juice, the yeast is just going to go to town on that and not really do anything interesting.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here