Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The collective total of this past weekend's sourdough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The collective total of this past weekend's sourdough

Went with a double ferment, and used 50 percent rye.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191118_084813_567.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	770348
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191118_084643_541.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	770349

Masterful. Every time I see your pics it makes me want to try this, but I am not sure I have the patience.

Comment

Very nice. Very very nice.

What did the double ferment do the flavor? The crumb looks amazing on that loaf. About 9.9/10 for what I go for. Assume this is 50% rye (dark/light/just rye) and 50% white flour?

I pronounced my starter, Silverton, dead.
      I've started a new one, as it's the bread making season at Casa LeChef... it has already been designated Poilâne.

First up will be Forkish's Field Blend #1, which I've never done before, lacking light rye flour. Excited for it.

Comment

That look so good! Love fresh bread but a bread maker machine is about the limit of my skill.

Comment

I see posts like this and am in awe of so many on this board and their abilities. Good job!!!!

Comment

Thank you for the kind words everyone, I enjoy the process, likely more the the outcome, and the outcome is tasty. But for me bread, smoking, cooking in general is all about the process and what ever mental distraction it gives me, or lesson learned. then next it is about how can I bring people together through the finished result. So, I am happy to have friends that accept and some even buy a loaf from me.

Potkettleblack I have found the process of a double ferment gives more body to the overall product, and with it a better crumb. Flavor may be a bit more, but, not so much that I would lay a stake in it and proclaim it, but, the extra few steps in doing the double ferment, are worth it to me, plus, I use the extra discard and make more bread with it. ou also asked about the Rye, i made a 50 percent Rye, 10 percent whole wheat and 40 percent white. and increased the hydration by about 4 percent maybe?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Richard.
              Agree with everything about process being enjoyable, the mental distraction, and the learning.

Thank you for the percentages.

You are turnin' into a bread makin' machine.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here