Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bread in Cast Iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bread in Cast Iron

Any of you bread bakers use this cast iron pot? I like the fact that it has no long handles to stick out when using in the grill. It looks like the Lodge Combo Cooker w/o handles only larger. Any thoughts or ideas before I order one?https://www.lodgemfg.com/double-dutch-oven?sku=L8DD3 I have included a link to the Combo Cooker as well. https://www.lodgemfg.com/search?sear...Combo%20Cooker
    Last edited by Skip; November 14, 2019, 01:34 PM.

I use that exact one. Works great. You can cook "upside down" so you don’t burn your hand trying to make the score on top.

Comment

Yep!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boule in 5 qt DO.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	768950

Comment

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice!

I use a Lodge cast iron 5 qt dutch oven. Works great.

Comment

Skip, my wife just made some bread in That Dutch Oven. I bought it about 4 mos. ago when it was on sale. The bread turned out marvelous & amazingly it has been a real work horse for the past 3 weeks. I cooked a turkey breast in it 2 days ago. When I first got it I wondered if I would get much use. Really glad I made the purchase. Been using it in the grill, oven & stove top.

Comment

I use a 6 quart Dutch oven for my sourdough, works great!

Comment

Yes - the first one is great for bread because it's easier to place the dough in the upside down top than in the bottom.

Comment

I have the same 5qt dutch oven. Although I have not used it for bread, it’s a great tool. Made chili a few times on the BGE and even seared a couple of steaks on the lid. Upside down of course. It’s a perfect size for many types of cooks.

Comment

Several in here use that, I think it would be fun to use and make a bit bigger bread, and make some italian loaves out of the remainder dough.

Comment

I have a smaller 2 qt one that I bake bread in. https://www.lodgemfg.com/dutch-oven?sku=L2SP3

I don't have very good bread skills, so I'm usually just baking a ball of leftover pizza dough. The lid on this 2qt one has the self-basting tips, so not necessarily good for an upside-down bake.

When not baking bread in it, I use the h e double-toothpicks out it for sauces, braising (small stuff), sauteing vegetables, etc. Both on the kitchen stove and on the grill. It's the perfect size for my 22" kettle.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here