Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Played with bread again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Played with bread again

I am so looking forward to grilling tonight, just saying! But, I took some of my WW starter, and some of my Rye Starter, played with the Hydration numbers a bit, and the levain amount, and really as of this morning I thought my experiment went way wrong. But I took it the full distance to see, I was expecting an over fermented, over proffed, high on the sour end of flavor bread. Then I took a razor and played a bit with some of the natural break lines I saw possibly happening. and when it came out. I was completely shocked that this was my result. Click image for larger version

Name:	10-16 SD 2.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	756854Click image for larger version

Name:	10-16 SD 1.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	756851Click image for larger version

Name:	10-16 SD 3.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	756852Click image for larger version

Name:	10-16 SD 4.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	756853

It looks like you're well beyond the "playing" stage. I don't know if you've seen it (or if you're even an Excel kinda guy) but a couple of years ago, I created a spreadsheet to facilitate the Baker's Percentage method ... including messing about with hydration and recipe/formula development (including scaling, hydration, etc.).

It's HERE if you're interested.

Comment

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the spreadsheet!

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Another thanks for the spreadsheet. I am thinking about trying some bread at some point. I have a really long want to try list.

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Love that spreadsheet

That. Looks. Good. I'm a type 2 diabetic, so all I can do is look. And appreciate.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I am a type 1. So I can't eat this either. I do save a loaf every now and then though for myself. I have given away 75 percent of my breads to friends as thank yous for their friendship. I may try selling a few to friends for fresh bread for dinner parties etc..
      Last edited by Richard Chrz; October 16, 2019, 12:17 PM.

• crazytown3
      crazytown3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, keep on truckin' brother. You are doing good work.

Between your cooking and now the baking you keep raising the bar. Well above me for sure. Enjoy it for sure

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I certainly do not believe a single word of that to be true. Your cooks look and I bet taste fantastic! I just tell people, and it is pretty accurate, what you are seeing is my control issues on public display.

Great lookin' boules. I hope to get back to baking as the weather cools.

Comment

Some of us (me) are thicker than others. I haven't made bread in quite a while but keep threatening too. I have had great success with Ciabatta I think I will try baking some in my YS640. Can't hurt right might even be real good.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Do it!

You sure know how to put pressure on a person☺.
      Sir you are an insperation in every sense.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the kind words. Enjoying the learning process.

Holy Snikey that is fricking awesome!!!!

Comment

Well done I think you are past the beginners stage to the mid-bakers stage. Glad you are enjoying it so much.

Comment

Wow is all I can say! WOW!

Comment

This just ain't fair....I put on 2lbs just looking at your pics....amazing job as usual

Comment

Ridiculous looking bread. Looks amazing. Historically, I’ve done a lot of bread and have posted it on the Pit a bunch! I’m still searching for the best method of baking. What’s your setup/gear and method when putting the bread in the oven? Because the picture you have looks superior to my bread in terms of baking.

Comment

• scottranda
                scottranda commented
                Editing a comment
                Do you spray the top of the boule with water before you put it into the oven with the top on?

• Richard Chrz
                Richard Chrz commented
                Editing a comment
                scottranda, on these, The lid is on for the first 30 minutes, so I do not, the humidity is pretty much considered perfect inside a dutch oven with the lid on. When I bake a bread on a pan without a lid in the oven, I do spray it a bit,

• scottranda
                scottranda commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks!!

If that is you playing around, I can't wait to see you get serious! One thing to consider if you don't already do it, keep a bread journal. Note what you did, and what does and doesn't work. Helps tremendously.

Comment

Your bread is beautiful. Eatable art! There's an old print hanging in mom and dads dining room of a man giving thanks for a loaf of bread and a bottle of wine. With bread like that and a good bottle of wine I'd be doing the same.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                  Richard Chrz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you, I believe I know that print.

• Thunder77
                  Thunder77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You got that right!

Richard Chrz saw this article and thought you might be interested. It was a fun read for me. https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...cid=spartanntp

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                  Richard Chrz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you, I look forward to reading it. Again, thank you for thinking of me and passing it along.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here