Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rustic Sourdough Italian loaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rustic Sourdough Italian loaves

Baked a few Sourdough loaves this morning, Went with more of an attempt at a free form Italian loaf of sorts. Waiting to cut them open, but, they feel really good, smell really good, and it was with one of my sour dough cultures. I have a few more going in today, those will be boules, and I have used two different sourdough cultures in those. But here is my first lesson in Free form Sourdough.

Click image for larger version  Name:	rustic italian 1.jpg Views:	8 Size:	123.2 KB ID:	753763Click image for larger version  Name:	rustic italian 2.jpg Views:	8 Size:	52.0 KB ID:	753764
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; October 9, 2019, 12:21 PM.

Very nice with a very nice crumb.

Comment

Nicely done Rich! BTW, what did you finally decide on the baking steel?

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I have not decided yet, I have a friend who is a Custom bike builder and pretty much a fabricator of anything metal and welding. I am in talks with him on possibly getting two pieces cut out for my oven to use as a top and bottom to a baking zone. which I could take one and use on my grill as well. but, just talks right now. I think it is still a hot risky move. But, I have done lots of dumb things in the past, I see no reason to stop doing them now....

Mighty good looking loaves and crumb. Now the final test how did they taste Richard.

I do not type of stone or steel your using now. Or what type of grill your using I love my 3/8 steel but boy is it heavy. I use my Digiq to maintain a 350 temp or sometimes start up at 400 and reduce to 350. I love making bread so much my wife even got me a bread machine a few years back. LOL.

Well have fun and keep posting those pictures of your output. Doc took the fun out of it for me, dang it I'm getting old.
      Last edited by mountainsmoker; October 9, 2019, 02:21 PM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        So, I have to admit, I really have not eaten a lot of sourdough bread, so, I really can not judge it fairly. I think it tastes really good though. I posted the photos on Facebook, and a friend just offered to buy them both. lol So, I am making two more loaves in the next few days for him. 5 dollars a loaf, not making any money at that price, but, going to make it anyways for fun. help cover my flour expense a bit. These two were dutch ovens in my oven.

OK

Comment

These pics of your bread are going to be the death of me....they're fantastic....
        Sour dough breads have a unique taste, almost tart is a word that comes to mind.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          They definitely have that fermentation taste, and not heavily, just a nice balance. I definitely prefer it to regular bread. If you lived here I would just keep sending it over. I am a type 1 diabetic, I should not be making this. LOL I will likely continue to make bread and just give it away to friends that have been so helpful over the past few years. But, I enjoy the process, I really enjoy letting a bread develop it's flavor, it fits in with what I am enjoying about the smoking process.

• jecucolo
          jecucolo commented
          Editing a comment
          smokin fool
          Has anyone ever told you that you look like Bill Murray’s brother Brian Doyle-Murray. He was ground hog handler in Ground Hog Day!

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Been called a lotta things in my days but not that one so far.
          One of us should be insulted by your comparison....

Well done sir! Very nice looking open crumb. Crust looks good too. Keep it up!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here