Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First run at making bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks great! I’m a few years into making my first loaf! Many years of happiness!

Comment

Looks great! In fact, very similar to my first no-knead bread that I made in my new dutch oven.

I saw someone mention buying a lot of equipment on Amazon. What equipment do you actually need to make bread? I've been using our kitchen aide stand mixer with the bread hook for my pizza crusts, that need to be kneeded. The no-kneed bread, I've just mixed in a bowl by hand. We do have one of those plastic sheets for rolling stuff out on, but that's about it other than pans. I do live my cast iron Lodge pizza pan, skillet and dutch oven....

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Richard Chrz glad to know I could fuel your MCS budget! . I've not broken out the dutch oven or made bread since that time - although I've acquired numerous other items related to the DI - a privet, a frying basket, and a spatter guard - next journey will be deep frying on the grill. Right now my bread is mostly pizza crusts, which are so much better than most pizza out (unless its pricey wood fired oven stuff!).

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I just started deep frying on the grill. Nothing impressive yet, just home cut sweet potato fries or home cut russet fries. But, I am going to do salt and vinegar chips now, and then start moving up the ladder. I did deep fry patacones a few months agao as well. I find it extremely far better then doing it in the house.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Richard Chrz I've got an electric deep fryer, and have not used it in a long time, as I am very happy with my grilled wings. I've got a Korean fried chicken recipe I've not made in a year, and want to try it with the DI on the grill this time, and keep the heat and mess out of the kitchen... That was the original reason I wanted the DI in the first place. I figure I can just put the wings on the grate at the other end of the grill to drain as they are done.

Delightful looking bread. Once you have made it, smelled it, and finally tasted the home made Ken Forkish Artisan Bread it is tough to settle for anything else. In the book he suggests you let the crust get much darker for more flavor but I don’t seem to trust myself to let it go that long. Planning a trip out to Portland soon and I hope to visit his bakery and pizzeria.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I think it would be nice to visit his bakery. I had never considered myself a baker at any level, the occasional chocolate chip cookie or granola, but, never something like this. I am hooked.

jfmorris I have only used my lodge 3.2 pan so far for deep frying, but, now I have the 4 qt dutch, I can do bigger jobs. Agreed, inside it is a mess and it smells up a house. I need to get a good scoop with holes for it. A couple photos just to show. So far since it has all been fries really, I have poured the oil back through a cheese cloth into a glass storage bowl with lid.
      Attached Files

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Those fries look great! I guess fried bananas would be good too - never tried it!

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Those are plantains. I have thought about injecting some spiced rum into them first.

Bought the book a few weeks ago, ordered a dutch oven for baking and a proofing basket last week, and was planning on trying my first bake last week. But my package wasn't delivered and was returned because it was damaged. Reordered, should be here tomorrow, hoping to bake my first "Saturday" bread on Thursday and will be happy if it comes out looking half as good as yours.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I look forward to seeing it. I ordered a second proofing basket, I wish I could afford to quickly buy a second cast iron Dutch, but, betting my wife buys me one. I am hooked on bread making now. I have bought a few extra 6 qt cambro's so I can have different breads fermenting. But, I see a few different proofing baskets and baking pans coming into my house. LOL Pizza crusts are also awesome in this book. Enjoy your Bread, and remember to share the photos.

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I am starting a 50/50 white whole wheat Biga bread tonight, to bake tomorrow.

• jumbo7676
        jumbo7676 commented
        Editing a comment
        @​​​​​​​Richard Chrz  After reading through the recipe/instructions today, I ordered a second proofing basket in time to have it delivered tomorrow so it is ready to go Thursday. Was thinking of making one loaf of Saturday White Bread Thursday and using the rest of the dough for focaccia on Saturday.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here