Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sandwich loaf my way!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sandwich loaf my way!

Important Note: If you use the recipe for buns, please let the rolls rise after shaping, just befor baking.
    Bake at 400 degrees for about 12 to minutes
    • Let's bake some bread, sandwich loaf my way OK, my bread is cross between brioche and regular bread. My kids love it, my visitors leave with a fresh loaf. Here's what you'll need for one loaf:
    • A Mason jar filled with ice and your choice of liquor.
    • 15 ounces of bread flour (All purpose flour works just as well )
    • 1 Cup milk (you can use water)
    • 3 tablespoons sugar
    • 1 packet active dry yeast. Or 2 1/2 teaspoons if you buy in jars.
    • 3 tablespoons melted butter
    • 1 egg yolk 1 teaspoon fine salt or 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt.
    Directions: Pour liquor into the mason jar and take a sip. Keep it close by. Now mix sugar and milk, heat that in the microwave to about 120 degrees. Don't have to be exact, just have it warm. Take another sip of your liquor. Whisk the yeast with the milk and let it get bubbly. About 10 to 15 minutes. Meanwhile mix the salt, butter and egg yolk. Reserve the egg white. Once the yeast is happy, dump in the butter mixture and mix well. This is all happening in a bowl. Gradually add 10 ounces (2 cups) to the bowl and mix. Dump the remaining flour on a working surface i.e. cutting board, clean table top etc. Dump the dough on the surface and start kneading, adding flour as needed. You want a soft, slightly sticky but still workable dough. Once you get to that stop adding flour and knead the dough until smooth. You'll feel it in your heart when it's ready. Form a ball and place it in a buttered bowl, cover with plastic wrap and towel and let it rise to about double in size. This depends on how warm your kitchen is. I normally turn my oven light on and place the bowl in there. Takes about an hour. Once it doubles in size, form into a loaf and place in a buttered loaf pan. Butter it if it's not nonstick. Cover with a plastic wrap and a towel, let it rise about an inch higher. Meanwhile, heat your oven to 350 degrees. At this point your liquor should be halfway gone. When the oven is ready, brush the top of the loaf with the beaten egg whites leftover from the egg yolk. Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes, then turn the pan around to promote even browning. Bake an additional 15 minutes and start checking for doneness. You can use an instant thermometer, read 200 degree. You can poke it, bread won't collapse. Or tap the top and it's done when it sounds hollow. Now the whole house will smell a special kind of fantastic. Please restrain yourself from immediately slicing the bread. Let it cool before slicing. It's really easy to put together. Active time is 15 minutes. Please note that this bread will keep at room temperature for a week. But as you can see I bake two loaves because it gets devoured within 2 days. If you make 2 loaves double the ingredients EXCEPT YEAST! USE THE SAME YEAST AMOUNT FOR 2 LOAVES. I use the same recipe for my hamburger buns. Makes 8 buns, half every ingredient, including yeast but keep one egg yolk for 4 soft hamburger buns. I hate to buy a bag of buns when I only need 4.
    Last edited by Ernest; September 24, 2014, 09:42 PM.

One day I'll get the recipe format down. Trust me

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      sank you!!!

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, anytime I bake bread (and this is one BEAUTIMIOUS pair of loaves!) I set my oven about 25-50 degrees above my baking temp. that way, when you put the bread in, you can spray the walls with some water to create steam as well as compensate for the heat loss when you open the door. make sure, if you do a lot of baking, to use your BBQ grill therm and check the ACTUAL temp of your oven. mine runs about 10 degrees below what it tells me. most ovens lie.

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      I have an oven thermometer, I don't trust the oven thermostat

I'll have to try that. I love me some bread with ketchup as a late night snack.

Is that egg Salmonella side up????

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      HAHAHA! Yes it is. Got at a local farmers market.

I LOLed at this throughout reading. Reminds me of Meathead's Tennessee Hollerin' Whiskey BBQ Sauce recipe. Then I began to notice on the liquor directions you cease mention of it after the "should be halfway gone" point. What gives?

On a serous note, thanks. Looks delicious. I can't wait to try fresh baked bread, especially buns for my pulled beef sammies.

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL! Liquor didn't make it far!
      I've used the buns on pulled pork. Held up really great!

Looks good, I haven't made bread in years, I think you've motivated me to go at it again.

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Please do give it a try.
      I haven't bought bread, buns or hot dog buns in years.
      I just tweak the same recipe, for dinner rolls I up the butter or add an extra yolk.

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      and you get FAR better bread. do the math. I did. I can bake really, really good bread for less money than I can buy crummy bread at the store. though, I will say this. I like the crummy white bread for my reuben waffle sammiches after cooking a corned beef.

I want to give you a shout out here; I used your recipe this weekend to make buns for a pork butt. Butt being what it is, it was taking it's sweet time, so when those delicious-smelling buns came out of the oven my hungry guests saw "rolls" instead of "sanmich buns" and they were all "devoured" a couple hours before the pork was done. Excellent recipe, thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL! Thank you for giving it a go. I'm glad you liked it.

I have to ask "will you marry me"?

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      HAHAHA! NO!

• Papa Bob
      Papa Bob commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think y wife would approve anyway ha-ha. what kind of camera do you use your pictures or your camera skills are superb they really look wonderful.I made the bacon wrapped chicken legs yesterday a big hit not as pretty as yours but for my first time very nice. I did take pictures but now I have to remember how to download them off my camera and upload to the site,should figure it out by Christmas maybe Thanksgiving but thanks for the recipe will be in my arsenal for a long long time

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Nothing special, I use my Nexus 5 phone camera set on HDR+

Followed all of the instructions but must have missed something, while good, they were dense and more like dinner rolls.

Proof of following recipe (hindsight that 100 went down fast, could have been my issue):

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140906_152708.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	16093

Here is the end product

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140906_184713_Richtone(HDR).jpg
Views:	169
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	16092
    Attached Files

Comment

• Guy
      Guy commented
      Editing a comment
      Ernest, when you shape the buns or rolls what do you let them rise again in. I would think a sheet pan. Do they need to be covered while rising after shaping? Really excited about trying this.

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Guy I let them rise on my baking sheet. Rub some butter on a film cling and loosely cover the rolls. Loose enough not to impede the rise.

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      something else to remember. how old is your yeast? what was the temp and humidity of the day. all that makes a difference. One thing that will give you a higher, softer loaf is more moisture. if you are sure of your yeast, add a little more moisture (be careful, it is really easy to overdo) and make certain your salt never contacts your yeast, directly, and double check the temp of the water or milk you are using to bloom your yeast. if it isn't foamy in 10-15 minutes, your yeast is dead, one way or another. either the yeast is old or the milk/water/juice was too warm. 110 (a little warn to your hand but not hot) is the top number.

Okay Ernest, grinding some chuck tomorrow. Going to see if I can make ya proud of the buns.

Thanks for the share. I been waiting for the op to try this since you posted it. ummmmm

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      You have no choice but to make me proud! LOL!
      I'll check here regularly in case you have questions

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Jon, let the buns rise before making. Seems like I missed a step when using the dough for buns

Tried again and failed again...though they were better this time. It's strange because I used to bake bread all the time without issue. The only odd thing I noticed this time was that the dough was ridiculously sticky after letting it rise, like really sticky, should I have added more flour?
    Also, how long do you cook the buns for, you mention 30 minutes total for the loaves but these were done in maybe 15.

EDIT: Flavor and everything is there, they just need more fluffiness. I am using Fleishman's active dry yeast original, NOT the rapid rise.

EDIT 2: From my reading I apparently didn't knead long enough, will try again!
    Last edited by _John_; September 24, 2014, 02:11 PM.

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Knead and add flour if dough is too sticky.
      I edited the original post to include buns

Bake buns at 400 for 12 to minutes. This is due to size and open baking vessel.

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't forget to let the buns rise after shaping them.
      So the dough will rise as a single ball, double in size. Then rise again after shaping the buns, then bake.

Where can I get the bread recipe ?

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      It is the original post.

I haven't mastered how to write in list format. My apologies

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
    Where can I get the bread recipe ?

It's in the original Post, kind of have to parse it out as it is on both sides of a picture.

Comment

Well I think it is the forum format because I wrote the original post with ingredients listed. But it came out like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
        Well I think it is the forum format because I wrote the original post with ingredients listed. But it came out like this.
        Try using bullets, they're located in the "A" button, upper right of any comment box.
        • Im using them now
        • and now
        • and even now

1. And here's numbered bullets
        2. and another
        3. and so forth.

This will eliminate the forced justifying that the forum apparently uses.

Comment

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee it looks the same on the iPad and on the iPhone for this comment box, but the "A" is not in the bottom comment box on the iPad or the iPhone.

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          I also
          Get the "working" notice on the iPad

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          Test on iphone - got the working notice on the iPhone too.

Finally got em and they are outstanding! I wasn't giving them enough flour which made them too sticky which meant it was difficult to knead correctly. This time they were great, they would make outstanding dinner rolls and could stand up to quite a variety of meats and sauces.

Comment

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          Man I'm glad to hear that!! Now tweak it to your liking.
          Up the butter, shape smaller buns, bake them close together for that classic pull away dinner roll look.
          And thank you for trying it out.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here