Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon Jalapeno Cheese Sourdough Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon Jalapeno Cheese Sourdough Recipe

I've been making my own natural leaven sourdough for about 5-6 years now. Aside from the standard artisan loaf, two of my favorites are bacon jalapeno cheddar and garlic Parmesan rosemary. Well, today I combined both recipes plus some onion and - OMG - it is great! I am out of cheddar so I used Colby Jack blend and then decided "what the hell" and added Parmesan, garlic , a white onion, and rosemary too.

I use Chad Robertson's method as explained in his book Tartine Bread. I'm not going to go into too much detail on the methodology below but you can review his method on youtube or here:https://www.karenskitchenstories.com...try-bread.html

I'm calling this my "Everything" loaf

Leaven - night before:

100 grams all purpose flour
    100 grams whole wheat flour
    200 grams water
    1 Tbsp active sourdough starter.

Bread:

900 grams bread flour
    100 grams whole wheat flour
    650 grams water + 50 grams extra
    200 grams leaven
    20 grams salt.

Mix all but the salt and 50 g water. Let set for 30-60 minutes, then add salt and the 50 grams water. Turn the dough every 30 minutes. I usually add the bacon cheddar jalapeno mixture when the salt is added or with the first turn but today I added it at the two hour mark. I adlibbed most of this today, here is what I added:

12 oz jalapeno bacon, 3/4 cooked (it will finish cooking in the bread). I added 1 diced white onion to the bacon while it cooked. Then I added 1 can Hatch sliced jalapenos (drained and diced - I usually use three fresh jalapenos but I am out), 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary (fine chopped) and 2 cloves minced garlic and cooked until aromatic, then removed from heat to cool (keep the bacon grease in the mixture - there is not much and the sourdough culture seems to like it). Added 1 cup colby jack cheese and 1/3 cup parmesan cheese. I turned this into the dough for the last two hours of the initial rise and continued to turn every 30 minutes.

Divided dough into two loaves and put in baskets to rise. Preheated oven to 500* and put a cast iron Dutch oven in to preheat. Once heated, I put the loaf into the Dutch oven, cut the top, and spritzed with water. Reduced oven to 450* and cooked with the lid on for 20 minutes, then lid off for 20-25 minutes until dark brown. The bread tastes amazing but I will add more cheese next time. I usually use two cups cheddar but I was running low on cheese in general today and was too lazy to go to the store.

This is one of the biggest oven rises I've gotten out of an artisan loaf:

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2795.JPG Views:	1 Size:	907.6 KB ID:	667773

While writing this I kept going back to the kitchen to get another slice of this wonderful bread - still warm and with some butter.

So, here are individual recipes:

Bacon Jalapeno Cheddar

1 lb bacon, diced and cooked about 3/4 done
    3 jalapenos, seeded and diced
    2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
    2 T bacon grease.

Add to dough when salt is added.

Garlic Parmesan Rosemary

1T fresh rosemary, chopped
    2-3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    2T olive oil

Add to dough when salt is added
    Last edited by 58limited; June 18, 2022, 10:04 AM.

Very tasty lookin'.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

I love bread. I love artisan bread even more. My talents have always leaned toward the savory, I’m not a baker. Looking at you’re delicious loaf maybe I need to reconsider that.

Comment

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          The method I used is not really hard but is a bit time consuming - natural sour dough is a slow process. I usually coincide my baking with housework so I'll be nearby to turn the dough every 30-45 minutes. The turning itself only takes a minute. You have to do that for the first 3-4 hours, depending on how fast the dough rises. After that, about 30 minutes to divide, rest, and shape the dough then another 3-4 hours to rise. There are tricks to work around a busy schedule - cold rising, etc.

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          Try this faster easier bread - nice and moist, great flavor - I've made it several times: https://youtu.be/GDNWZF70wcc

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee

Wonderful! I've been thinking of doing a jalapeno cheesebread and this is now the motivation. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

Comment

A few years ago, I got into making breads. Sourdough and Ciabatta mostly. Although the bread was the best I slowly stopped; time consuming and oven space (and I’m just lazy).
          Now with the Yoder maybe I’ll try again. Thanks for the inspiration and that recipe sound so good!

Comment

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, its time consuming. I haven't baked since before the new year. I was feeding the cultures (I have 5 different ones) the other day and decided to take advantage of the holiday weekend to bake. I have day old dough in the fridge for pizza and focaccia - should have an amazing flavor after a day or so.
            Last edited by 58limited; April 21, 2019, 12:43 PM.

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea maintaining the cultures was my downfall.
            '58 Buick and Olds always have loved them by the way

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            Wish I had a '58 Olds to go with my '58 Buick. Love chrome!

58limited you mention maintaining 5 different cultures. How do you store them to ensure they are not repopulated with the local yeast cultures? Do you feed them differently to accomplish different profiles?

Comment

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            I keep them in my fridge and only feed one at a time. Some say that eventually the cultures will change to reflect local conditions but all of mine still smell and taste different even after several years. I use King Arthur flour to feed, flour has yeast that may take over but it is the lactobacillus bacteria that really make the character of a culture. I think I have been able to exclude local lactobacilli (sterile technique and fast work-lid off very short time) to keep the original character

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            That makes sense, thanks for the reply.

I often cook bread myself.
          This recipe is very tasty.

Easy Keto Zucchini Bread

And most importantly, you will not spend a lot of energy, because it is very easy.

Attached Files

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Welcome to The Pit. Nice lookin loaf too.

Looks awesome! Just making sure you’ve also seen the other massive thread on sourdough. Some good discussion there.

we’d love to see more of your breads!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here