Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Question About Making Pretzels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Question About Making Pretzels

We are having our 23rd annual Christmas party next Saturday and a new item for the party is going to be soft pretzels. My question is can the dough be made in advance. For example, I like to let pizza dough rest in the 'fridge for 2-3 days ahead of time as it develops depth of flavor as the yeast ferments. Is the same true for pretzel dough? I am not so concerned about improving the flavor. My concern is causing harm to the flavor of the dough. We've never cooked pretzels before so we are breaking new ground. With this party, the more food prep that can be done in advance, the better.

I have made bread and pizza dough well in advance of when I wanted to bake without problems. And no-knead dough recipes say you can store the dough for up to five days.

If you want to save a little time and space, don't shape like pretzels. Either make logs or bites. They are easier to store, and probably better size portions than large pretzels. Of course, pretzel shaped will be a better visual presentation...

Best served warm.

Just don't get bent out of shape trying to shape them...

Comment

RonB we are going with either logs or bites. My wife just made a batch as a test run to see how they'd come out. Whoa! These things are like crack - highly addictive.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah - I don't make them often, but they sure do go quickly...
        What recipe is your wife using - if ya don't mind me asking?

Don’t see why not. But baking is weird. I don’t know what sort of flour is used to make pretzels. All pourpoae? Bread? Do you use yeast in the dough or some other leavening agent like baking powder? I have no idea.

Comment

Absolutely. I’ve made soft pretzels a few times and always make the dough in advance. I don’t shape the pretzels until it’s ready to cook though.

Comment

I think Skip may have made some pretzels on his BGE. He might be able to help.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here