Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gluten Free Bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gluten Free Bread

Any of you Bread Bakers out there ever make Gluten Free Yeast Breads? One of my Daughters is trying Gluten Free for some health issues and I would like to try to help her out.

I’m no help! Sorry Skip!

Comment

Don’t have any yeast ones handy, but until then flour free cornbread...

Comment

I have a friend with gluten problems and did some research. I was hoping to find a no knead gluten free recipe for him, but found nothing.
        However, i did find that some people with gluten problems are able to eat bread made from sprouted grain. I made some successfully and he could eat it, but then I found sprouted grain bread in the organic section of the grocery's freezer, so he now eats that.

Comment

You might think in terms of flat breads (like potato-based Scandinavian lefse) as an alternative to loaf bread.

Comment

I hope you find a recipe that works, Skip! Sorry to hear about your daughter's health.

Comment

The Franz gluten-free bread that they sell at Costco (mine anyway) is excellent. My wife has celiac disease, and has avoided gluten since decades before it became a thing. She likes the Franz Seven-Grain bread just fine. We have tried baking our own bread off and on over the years. There is a lot of technique involved, plus trial and error, since the range of recipes is very wide, and can include many combinations of non-glutenous flours (e.g. rice, beans, potato starch, corn). It is quite the science project, in our experience.

Here is a link to the Franz site. You can buy it directly from them. It holds up well, so buying on-line is not insane.

45-day shelf life before product is opened. Hand crafted in a completely dedicated Gluten Free Bakery. Every loaf is baked with the finest ingredients to ensure the best flavor and outstanding texture our gluten free products are known for.Shipping is free on orders of four or more products. You may mix and match or order multiple of the same product. 

Comment

Many that have gluten issues can eat spelt bread. As spelt is an ancestor to the wheat we commonly use, you can cook with it the same as you can cook with whole wheat flour . And yes, malted(sprouted) wheat can sometimes be used. I've made everything from fine pastries to simple breads and quick breads from spelt flour. Having a grain mill helps a lot, as one can grind and sift the fresh spelt flour to one's needs. Just a few ideas that I hope can help...

Comment

My wife has been GF for about 10 years now, and with that, I’ve eliminated most gluten from diet over time as well. So I have done some searching for recipes and tried various things.

I’ve tried some different recipes from this site and they have done well, especially the puff pastry that I used for beef Wellington. https://glutenfreeonashoestring.com

The flour blends she has developed seem really good, because they are based on blends that I’ve used before. Specifically Cup for Cup Flour. I’ve used this as my go to flour for GF baking. I’ve used it, as a straight substitute for regular flour, for bread, pie crust and pasta. It turns out pretty good but I don’t make bread that often anymore with the availability of commercial GF breads being pretty good these days.

Ive also made blends of flour for bread, which is great if you plan on making bread or other items more frequently. Can be a little expensive up front but cheaper in the long run.

I’ve tried some of the GF recipes from the book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes. They turn out well also and since the publishing of that book, they have a GF book out as well.

Hopefully that helps out. Feel free to message me and I’ll help with questions. It’s amazing to see what is available compared to 10 years ago. Bread back then was horrible and now it’s hard to tell. Restaurants are also up with the change, having many great GF options.

and, in the event she wants a GF beer, Greens has some great options as well. Amber, dubbel and trippels that are wonderful!

Comment

I was pretty hardcore keto for a while and still tend to stick very low carb for the most part, albeit not as strict as i was. I tried a LOT of almond flour breads and for the most part they are typically pretty eggy and dont rise much. This one was by a mile the best i found. You do need more ingredients than typical bread but once you have them they will last a while.

Comment

• grantgallagher
                      grantgallagher commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Also, a trick i figured out is to actually proof the bread on top of the oven when its warming up. My experience was that at typical room temp it did not rise enough.

I’ve been paleo for 6 years now, and yes there are quite a few more GF options these days. The problem is that gluten is often substituted with other things that you probably wouldn’t want to consume. I think things that are specifically paleo are a better option.

Bob’s Red Mill has some good choices, including one type of flour that is paleo. I picked up a package last year along with some pizza makings. But a few days later had to evacuate for hurricane Irma. Everything in the fridge went bad during the power outage.

Comment

Skip and Amazing Ribsters: Spelt is definitely NOT gluten free:

google.com/search?q=spelt+gluten+free%3F&oq=spelt+gluten+ free%3F&aqs=chrome..69i57.4511j0j4&sourcei d=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It might be OK (but probably not, candidly) for some who have a VERY mild gluten intolerance but any google search (if my link fails to connect) will tell you that spelt breads and flours still have the gluten protein.

I have never heard nor read of any process by which the gluten protein is removed from spelt flour. If gluten is a problem, am sorry to report that spelt is NOT the answer, although I sure wish otherwise.

One nice home-made alternative is Bob's Red Mill gluten free corn bread mix, available at many Safeway stores.

We fine tune the recipe on the bag a bit and it is awesome with canned, diced green chiles (yes, for those who like it hot, diced jalapenos would work also) and cheddar or American (especially Velveeta brand) cheese. Tip: Cube your cheese, rather than buy the pre-grated or pre-shredded, as the hotter oven temps for this tends to vaporize shreds but not so cubes.

Once you add some cubed cheese and the chiles (add all the can liquid, too)--and for those who like it hot, diced jalapenos would work also.

With add-ons like cheese or chiles, you will need at least a 12" CI pan; the way we cook this, our 12" pan is really full, so be sure to use AT LEAST a pan approx 12"or slightly larger.

Before you start to mix, preheat the oven with your pan inside--to at least 400 (we run the oven hotter than bag instructions because of the extra chiles, liquid and cheese added, and hotter temp also sets the bottom crust better), then grease your cast iron liberally (all the way up the sides of the pan, too) with plenty of bacon grease supplemented with some no stick spray. You definitely want to have a well-oiled pan so when done and cooled you get a full release. (Yes, for those who like it hot, diced jalapenos would work also.) "No fun" is scraping your corn bread out of your CI skillet.)

Then get it in a hot oven and let the bacon grease REALLY heat up, THEN add your batter, and just time your cook generally-based on bag instructions; the top will start to brown when getting close. (One reason I like this Bob's Red Mill product is that this mix is pretty darned forgiving on how you mix, what add-ons are included, and general temp of cook.)

If you really want to make it look great, pull 'er out with approx five minutes to go and brush the top with wash from one egg white and one tsp of water mixed well with a fork. You can also add some medium to large gauge kosher salt on top or maybe rub of your choice that tastes good without cooking--or some extra cheese. If it hasn't browned to your liking, you can access your LOW broiler setting--CAREFULLY--for a minute or two, but watch it like a hawk--because it will burn fast, you have to literally stay at the oven and move the pan as needed to brown everywhere on your top-- during this, don't walk away! Unless you are an arm-wrestling champ, you will DEFINITELY NEED TWO GLOVED HANDS to safely remove this from the oven--this is a dense mix and it will be HEAVY, so don't fool with trying to leverage it with one hand with a 400-degree CI skillet!

Warm after some cooling time with some butter, honey butter or apple butter is a treat.

Be sure to scrape it carefully with a metal spatula from the sides and underneath to free it from the cast iron pan immediately after cooling. Enjoy it within a couple days because it has few, if any preservatives.

If after a few days your cornbread starts to get a little stale, cube it and into the oven at approx 400 for great croutons on salads and soups.

It ain't traditional loaf bread, but it is at least one really good alternative.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I have read in one "reliable" place (I think it was Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice) that SOME celiacs can tolerate the gluten found in rye. I can't verify that personally, but it might be worth exploring.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here