Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 1, 2, 3 Sourdough Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 1, 2, 3 Sourdough Method

Greetings fellow crumb crunchers! I recently came across this simple method and thought I’d pass it along. Pardon my French: 1, 2, 3 Sourdough Method

While most bread books, such as Forkish, are fussy about hydration, this method suggests simplifying. Regardless of your starter’s hydration (you DO have a starter, no?), simple take whatever your discard is from feeding, add twice that weight in water, three times that weight in whatever flour you choose, and 2% of flour weight in salt. Use your regular method to mix, bulk ferment, proof, and bake. Easy peasy.

This AM I used 150 grams of discard, 300g water, 450g AP flour, and 9g salt. 8 hours later, off my KK steam oven came two batards:

Click image for larger version  Name:	A162F1BF-C197-42BE-8FE4-CC1A4C8862CF.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	3.67 MB ID:	543480
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_69950.jpg Views:	2 Size:	3.58 MB ID:	543481
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pequod; August 5, 2018, 01:55 PM.

Nice looking crust ... how's the crumb?

FWIW, you are being fussy about hydration because you're weighing things out precisely (and therefore maintaining an exact flour/water ratio) ... but not having to think too much about it because the 1, 2, 3 method makes the math easy. Assuming your starter is a 100% hydration Poolish, your loaves are 71% hydration (slightly lower if your starter is drier ... like a Biga).

Edit: The crumb pic just showed up ... nice job!

Comment

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      Not really, no. The method works regardless of what hydration my starter is. Still works if your starter is 66% or even less. The point of the method is to ignore all that, simplify, and just bake bread. Being finicky is optional.

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Pequod - the fussiness is in the weighing. Even if your starter were quite dry (like 50% hydraion), your bread would only drop to 66% hydration ... still very acceptable (and in fact, is the target for french bread). I'm not criticizing here ... I'm applauding ...

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      Weighing is a given (in my book) anytime baking is involved. Not trying to split hairs. Just pointing out that the approach -- multiples of 2 and 3 -- is simple and doesn't factor in hydration, which is usually a starting point. By comparison, I need a spreadsheet to convert Forkish recipes to my starter's hydration, while any fool can multiply by 2 and 3 and get great bread without the minutiae.

Nice lookin loaves...

Comment

Looking AWESOME!

Comment

Great lookin' bread - however ya did it.

Comment

Great loaves arama! You almost have me thinking of making bread. Cool!

Comment

Great post Pequod . I will need to try this. I dried my starter for awhile but will wake it up sometime soon. Thanks for the post!

Comment

My Grandma Used To Stick Her Elbow In The Old Wood Fired Oven To Determine The Proper Temp To Bake
              Her Bread❗️❓❗️ Best I Ever Ate‼️ I Tried It Once, And
              "BURN'T MY ELBOW"❗️ That's Why I'm Not A Baker‼️
              Eat Well And Prosper❗️ From A Backyard Cremator In Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Great looking loaves! I need to try that method.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here