Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just realized!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just realized!!

I owe you guys some pictures! I have not done a ton of baking but, I did do a pretty nice Quiche. the Y has decided he likes Quiche for breakfast. which is good because I LOVE making Quiches. I have made them a little shallow in the past, you know, the typical wide and low tart style. but, I was reading Ruhlman on Quiche and he was waxing rhapsodic on the beauty of deep dish Quiche and how creamy it is. So, I tried it and I LOVE it!

I have to apologize for one, though. I made some nice Pithiviers but, for some reason, I didn't get pics of them. I'll be making them again, though. I LOVE them!

But, for today, here is the Quiche. Deep dish, baked in an 8" deep pan of dark metal. the crust in laid over the edges and baked laying overm then trimmed with a rasp. this makes a great crust that doesn't shrink and it also leaves the baked scraps available for coating or for sprinkling on, say a custard. yummy!

After that, the Nice little Scones I made. Good thing I took those pics as they came out of the oven cause, well, they didn't hang around long. Simple sweet scones with dried fruit. Cranberries and a bit of dried pineapple and mango. the Jam is home made Meyer Lemon Marmalade. The Y found them on a great sale so we made up a batch of the marmalade.
    Enjoy the pics, and accept my apologies for the tardiness!! I don't have a smart phone so, snapping quick pics that are easy to post isn't the way I do them. But I love doing my pics. I think I learn from them when I shoot them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 02 24 001 Spinach artichoke tart .jpg
Views:	157
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	461847Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 02 24 003 Spinach artichoke tart .jpg
Views:	161
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	461848Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 02 24 002 Spinach artichoke tart .jpg
Views:	126
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	461849Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 02 24 004 Spinach artichoke tart .jpg
Views:	128
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	461850Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 03 01 001 .jpg
Views:	144
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	461851Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 03 01 004 .jpg
Views:	152
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	461853Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 03 01 006 .jpg
Views:	136
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	461854Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 03 01 005 .jpg
Views:	122
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	461855
    Attached Files

That Quiche looks gorgeous. Thanks for sharing these Karon. They look great!

Comment

Upper class cooking!

Comment

Oh man, now I am HUNGRY! Looking great Karon!

Comment

Great looking! Wonderful job with the baking!

Comment

Go Karon Adams !!!

Comment

Looks great, and now thanks to you and google, I know what a Pithivier is...

Comment

Great lookin stuff Karon. I need to try making scones. I had one once, but was not impressed, so I'm wondering if I can do better. First I need to get some dried blueberries.

Comment

Looks delicious!

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

Looks absolutely delish!

Comment

I have a few tricks with scones. first, think of it like puff pastry. VERY cold butter. I cut a stick into 6 long pieces, then cut those into 1/8 inch slices and pop them in the freezer. that's FIRST. then sift ALL the dries and do it from a good height to give it LOTS of air. Then, mix all your wets together. this way, the egg will be well mixed with the other wets and won't clump up. add the butter in last, and mix with a fork (to keep your body heat from melting the butter.).. Roll it out and fold and roll, quickly 3-4 times so that you get the layers you have in puff pastry. you really ARE making chemically risen rough puff pastry. your final roll should be no less than 1" thick.

cut straight down. I like fluted cutters to let the heat get in faster. never, ever twist, that seals the edges, making it harder to rise. brush with a little bit of milk or cream stretching the dregs of your wet bowl. just add a tablespoon or so to the same bowl you beat your eggs. there will be just enough to brush the tops. lastly, bake them at 425. it needs to be at least 425 to bake the butter hot enough to part bake and part fry the layers of butter.

all of that will give you flakier scones/biscuits. make them smaller rather than larger. dainty little scones rather than cathead biscuits. They really are nice. but, they will not be as moist as southern biscuits because you don't use the fats for shortening the gluten, but to create the layers. that's OK, that's the way it is supposed to be. Took me a while to realize that part.

Good luck! Scones are fantastic!

My next "Tea Cake" with be Maids of Honor. those look terrific!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

That quiche looks amazing!

Comment

Both are beautiful. Great job. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here