Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Revenge of the Frustrated Baker....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revenge of the Frustrated Baker....

Yes, I've been absent. not my usual MO in January. But I haven't been able to do much this season.

Have you seen the advertisements about Hernia Mesh failure? sadly, the Y had had that problem. several years ago, he had prostate cancer and had surgery. He has been cancer free with excellent PSAs since. The surgery was done laparoscopic and he was out in days. unfortunately, the incisions, all six of them, failed to close on the muscle layer. so, he went back in for repair. he had herniated between the incisions so instead of 6 small ones, he had 2 large ones. that repair failed, leaving us to do it again two years later and THAT has failed.

And, in the interim, the Y has, shall we say......indulged.

Please gentlemen, get your PSA tested. I have never been more terrified in my life than when his doctor told me his biopsy was positive. even then, I didn't realize the full implications. thank heavens we handled the issue or I would be a widow these last 10 years, most likely. everyone over 50, for those with it in the family, at 40 and black men, 10 years before both ages. if you miss this one, it is not good.

anyway, having indulged, especially since he has retired and begun the second career, making people mad for a living, he has also been doing less physical labor. he went from Elevator Mechanic, 18 flights of stairs per day, on average, carrying a 25 pound tool box, to riding the elevators and carrying a clipboard.

so, for the last 3 months, the Y has been on a weight loss plan that meant low carbs. To his credit, he has done very well. But I'm going NUT! (no comments from the peanut gallery on that one, I know it is a short journey with no need to stop for gas). So I have not been able to indulge in my usual winter baking. no bread, no tarts, no cakes, no cookies. I'm lost!

Well, no able to stand it any longer, I finally said Heck with it last weekend. GOSH I feel better!

Last weekend, Alsatian Onion Tart. which is actually a gorgeous deep dish quiche of home made buttercrust with luscious crream custard and Gryere cheese and carmelized onions. I took pictures but I am sorry to say they didn't come out well and, I'm sorry, but I was too eager to dig in to check the card before indulging. My apologies.

I've also been reading and learning about Korean History and trying to learn a little of the Korean Language. this has, of course, led to trying Korean Food.

It began with Mandu Yaki. meat dumplings, made with the same dough used for Ramen Noodles, rolled thin and stiffed with meat and some chopped veg. Yaki is fried, so pan fried and AMAZING! Dipping sauces of choice!

Fine cooking cooperated with a terrific story on Ramen this last issue, so, we made Ramen. and BOY was it good! hand made noodles, a deep, rich broth and various veg in the bowl. Ramen is basically Korean/Japanese Second Day Stew. Fantastic stuff! the broth made from what would be the dripping from any roast, add chicken stock to make it a soup, serve over noodles, made chewy with alkaline water, and bits of all the veg in the bowl. VERY filling and so savory, the Y and I both were making ourselves stop. and we just reheated it and had it again the next night!

Then, this AM, I was dying for breakfast pastry. so I decided to try Hoetteokk. Korean filled pancakes. lean yeast dough, kneaded and rolled out, a spoonful of filling, sugar & walnuts, or jam or you could go savory and make it a meaty/cheesy dish, cooked/baked/fried in a skillet. Asia isn't really a country of ovens, so the breads are usually steamed or panfried. this is kind of a combination. fried, then a lid on the pan to make a minioven to steam/bake the bread. They are street food in Korea and understandable why they are so popular! Yummy, chewy inside out pancakes, but not pancakes as it is lean yeast dough rather than batter.

Yes, I'm bragging! I haven't been able to enjoy this much time in the kitchen since Before Christmas! I need to shoot some of the Hoettoek before they're all eaten but for now, enjoy the Ramen pics. I'll probably be back to no carb cooking again, fast, but for the moment, for a week, it has been wonderful getting to bake again. good to know i haven't forgotten how!

<SIGH>

Back to behaving myself. SO sad and boring!!

At least it's finally time to start the seeds for Spring! Happy Eating!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pork Ramen 003.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	449950Click image for larger version

Name:	Pork Ramen 001.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	449951Click image for larger version

Name:	Pork Ramen 002.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	449952

That looks yummy. I do hope your husband does get everything worked out. I had a prostate scare a few years ago, but it turned out to not be cancerous.

Comment

Yikes Karon! Welcome back! Yes, we must monitor many parameters to keep our bodies in shape and and our cooks where we like them. Pics look great! After we moved from California to the redneck riviera, we eat much less asian food

Comment

Great lookin cook! Missed you. Wish you and Y for better days.

Comment

Here's to things looking up!

Sweet sticks. Lady back home taught me how to use sticks in high school. Didn't realize the thumb was so involved. She was from Vietnam. Funny as heck.

Comment

I would eat that! No baking is hard.

Comment

you know, though, it's just not fair! You guys, man. When i diet, I starve and starve and, if I'm lucky, I MIGHT lose 15 pounds in 6 months or so. The Y, he quits eating bread for three months and 20 pounds just fall right off!!! Just not fair!!

Meanwhile, didn't mean to paint a bleak picture, but I DO want to tell you guys, get TESTED!!! I don't want to lose any of you! the Y is cancer free and I can't ask for better on that score. Now we just need to get his belly closed. and, a little less of said belly will help!

Comment

Welcome back!

I try to keep my body in such a state of confusion it don't know what to break next!

Comment

Yea welcome back Karon, we miss your musings !!! Couple of comments, first of all you are right about prostate cancer. Although I've dodged the bullet so far, it is very real. My doctor told me that if you're a male and fortunate enough to live to be 90, you will get it, but went on to say that's not what will probably kill you!! Now for those of use in between, we should get checked at least once a year. I have heard just recently; however, that they are questioning the effectiveness of the PSA test, but that's for another forum and another day.

As to your Korean experiences, I agree that their ramen is excellent. Really started enjoying the Japanese style here in the Houston area, it has become the new "hip" thing to eat. I love a restaurant called AGU which is a chain was started by a Japanese/Hawaiian I believe in the Cali area. His ramen features belly, which as we all know is to die for. They braise theirs until it literally melts in your mouth.

Anyway, good to have you back, hope to hear from you soon. And hope thing work out for the Y as well !!

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    As someone who got that cancer in 2006, and has been clean since the operation, get the PSA test and ignore the nay-sayers. It's mainly an insurance company scam to save money.

I'd be dead if one of my dogs hadn't nipped me then, and instigated a physical that included that test.

She gets steak.

• Karon Adams
                    Karon Adams commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, any man who lives long enough WILL get prostate cancer. past a certain age, it is unlikely to be the cause of death. but, when it arrives early, it can cause death, not BY the prostate dying, but by escaping the prostate capsule and becoming bone and lymphatic cancer. and that will happen within a few years from the onset of prostate cancer. That's why you begin screening young

Karon Adams, I was Wondering Where Our Secret Santa Phenomina Had Went‼️ I Hope "HWMO" the "Y" is Doing Well Now‼️ It Sounds Like You and He Have Had a Long Lesson on Why They Call It Practicing Medicine❓ Glad You're Back‼️
                  From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here