Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smaller buns using AR Brioche bun recipe (perfect for 7oz patties)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smaller buns using AR Brioche bun recipe (perfect for 7oz patties)

i have been on the hunt to cook the perfect hamburger and was told by my ever-so-sweet high school freshman daughter that the best hamburger she ever had was in Michael's Genuine in Miami, FL while she and the bride were visiting Grammie and Papa.

I asked her what she like about it and she mentioned the juicyness, flavor (just the right amount of seasoning), cheese (white Vermont cheddar), and especially the brioche bun. She challenged me to see if I could make a hamburger that beats it.

Always being up the challenge, especially when it's my only daughter; I set out to see what I could do. The meat experiment is an entirely separate topic (grind your own? what cut of meat? add bacon? grill only? what and how much seasoning? sous vide + grill/skillet? etc.); but was eager to try to hand at baking the perfect brioche bun using AR's brioche bun recipe.

The first time, I followed the recipe exactly, even making my own 4.5" aluminum foil molds.

The buns had fantastic flavor, perfect texture, but were more like mini brioche loaves, and they dwarfed the hamburger...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7015.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	438620

Name:	IMG_7621.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	438621Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2096.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	438622

One thing to keep in mind is that I make ~7 oz patties (8 oz is too big for my bride and daughter, I wanted a bun that fit the hamburger perfectly in diameter and was not too much bread.

I decided to cut the recipe in half (I used the same baking percentages), use 4" molds, and only bake 4 buns (you could use the original AR recipe with 4" molds and bake 8 buns as well).

This worked out great; it fit the hamburger perfectly while maintaining the great flavor and texture. Only thing I would do differently is make more of an indentation in the center of each dough in the mold before baking so I would not get as much of a "peak" on the bun. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of the hamburger on the bun, but there's always next time...

Name:	IMG_5830.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	438623

Name:	IMG_1868.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	438624

I don't make them often, but I also make them smaller. You can use 3.5" or 4" egg rings instead of foil.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here