Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First loaf in way too many years.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me, just keeping a promise!

This is maybe the simplest of all recipes for making bread:

3 1/2 cups of flour - either bread flour or plain old King Arthur's Unbleached (which I used.)
    1 tablespoon Kosher salt
    3 tablespoons Honey
    1 cup of warm milk
    1/3 cup warm water
    2 tablespoons butter (melted)
    1 pack rapid rise yeast

In a stand mixer, fitted with a dough hook, place flour, salt, and honey. In a separate bowl, combine milk, water, butter, and yeast, stirring to dissolve.
    Turn mixer on Low, slowly add the liquids, and then increase the speed to #4. (For a Kitchen-Aid, anyway.) The dough might stick to and climb the dough hook, just scrap it back down a couple of times and let it do it's thing for 10 minutes. IF the dough is too wet, add no more than 1 tablespoon at a time, until you can handle the dough.

Next, comes the "no-knead" part where you do sort of "knead" the dough! Turn the dough out onto a lightly dusted, floured work surface. Knead the dough for about 15 seconds. (This is really just to get it ready to rise.) When you get it out of the mixer, and onto the work surface, work it into a ball, and give it a very light coating of oil. Turn the ball over and get the other side, too.Then it goes into a bowl big enough to allow for rising.

You can let it rise in the oven, a proofing box, I used a GE Advantium oven for mine. Once risen, grease up a loaf pan, 9X5X3 and use that to measure the loaf. Simply lay it out next to the pan, it will get knocked down while fitting it in. And it should be allowed to do so. Roll and cajole and get in in the pan, keeping any pinched seams on the bottom of the pan. I keep a small-sized loaf pan to put water in for steam production.

At this point, the oven should be set at 350*. Might want to boil the water for the steam pan and put both pans in for 30 to 40 minutes. Bread should be baked until an instant-read thermometer half-way into the bottom of the loaf shows a temp of 195*. Remove from the oven, let it cool on a wire rack. (And don't forget about the little pan that held the water.)

I managed to put off that stuff that was going to keep me away from the Forum for maybe a week, I'll take care of that next week, instead.

I do like keeping my promises!

Mike

Comment

Thanks for posting!

Comment

Thanx for posting. I'm definitely going to try this recipe. One question though - how do you get the flour into the measuring cup? Do you use the cup to scoop the flour, or do you use a spoon to place the flour in the cup?

Comment

I had to stop and think on this one! I did indeed spoon it into the measuring cup. Don't know how that slipped my mind . . . On second thought, uh, what day is it?

Mike

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here