Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forkish meets Reinhart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forkish meets Reinhart

I started Forkish's white bread with poolish last night and baked it today. I subbed www for 5% of the bread flour trying to get a bit more flavor without the bitterness of www and i reduced the hydration from 75% to 70% to make things easier. I made the final dough as Reinhart would though - started in the Kitchenaide to bring the ingredients together and then I did 4 stretch and folds before letting it ferment.
    Next I shaped one boule and two batards and let them proof. The boule was baked on the Baking Steel under under a CIDO. It was ready in 30 min and did not require any time with the DO removed.While that baked, the batards waited in the refrigerator. I didn't have a DO large enough to bake one or both batards at the same time, so I used a disposable roasting pan. Even that was not large enough and one end of each batard wound up touching the side of the pan. Those spots wound up browning but the rest of the batards were very pale when the cover was removed. The directions said to bake another 20 min checking after 15 min for brownness. I checked after 10 min, and the batards were already a bit browner than desired, so I turned the oven off, opened the oven door, and let them cool in the oven.
    The taste was good, but I will up the www to 10% next time. Crust and crumb were good, even if the crust was a bit darker than planned. By letting the batards cool in the shut off oven, the crust maintained it's crispness.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CM7I1543.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	351.4 KB
ID:	294249

Name:	CM7I1551.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	294248

Name:	CM7I1558.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	294247

Name:	CM7I1550.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	294246

Nice job, Ron ... but I have a question. What the heck is "www"?

Comment

Very Nice. I am with Mbmorgan. What is WWW?

Comment

I found out the other week that Reinhardt lives in Charlotte!

Comment

MBMorgan and Spinaker - world wide web, or maybe white whole wheat.

scottranda - yes, he teaches there. He has a class on Craftsy on how to make pizza that was free when I found it. It's still there:

https://www.craftsy.com/cooking/clas...-at-home/35406

Comment

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            WWW ... just added to the shopping list ... thanks!

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry MBMorgan - my answer above was a bit short. ww is milled from red wheat and www is milled from white wheat. It has much less of the bitter taste associated with ww.

I love that nice open crumb!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here