Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stand Mixer Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the smaller KA and it's lasted 28 years so far. Only thing is that I'm always wishing I had that bowl lift feature. I'd go Pro just to get that.

Comment

Have to have a dough hook for bread. It's necessary. I don't even use any other attachment for bread.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        For Ciabatta dough or any real high hydration dough I use the flat beater attachment to start. Once the dough sticks to that attachment I change to the dough hook. That reduces the total mixing time in the mixer by half.

Look into the KA outlet website. Got the Pro 6 qt. a few years ago with a sweet discount. They have other appliances too.

Comment

Never say "No" to more power.

Comment

I remember an ATK article about this very choice. The power/watts in the motor of mixers is deceptive, a marketing tool. Both got the job done fine (kitchenaids out performed higher watt motors, see the food lab 63-63 "the wattage is the power consumed by the mixer, not the power produced by the motor"). A 325 watt kitchen aid has more power mixing, than an 800 watt cuisinart. The cuisinart just uses electricity less efficiently. The main difference was that the tilt lock feature failed after an abusive mixing bagels until one broke test. The bottom bowl lift module solves than. I personally have the tilt and just hold the top down when I'm mixing roughly, it really does jump up I could see it breaking if you mix a lot.

Comment

My wife has used a Bosch Universal for years. A LOT of bread dough has gone through her machine.
            Best kitchen stand mixers by Ankarsrum, Famag, Bosch, WonderMix, Haussler. Lowest prices, Fast shipping, Click for details!

Comment

Thunder77. If you go with the KitchenAid? Consider a flaking attachment for it.
              This is a BBQ forum so excuse the kind of off topic post but fresh flaked oat groats for oatmeal is a whole new experience. I could always eat oatmeal disguised with milk and brown sugar. My wife convinced me we had to try fresh oatmeal with nothing else on it and it is definitely nothing like what you buy in the box. I actually eat and really enjoy fresh flaked oat groats. You find them in any health food store and that attachment will change your mind on oatmeal.
              Best kitchen stand mixers by Ankarsrum, Famag, Bosch, WonderMix, Haussler. Lowest prices, Fast shipping, Click for details!

Comment

• dtassinari
                dtassinari commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh man. Porridge with real freshly coarsely ground oats has been a life changer. My personal favourite is savoury with miso paste, roasted brussels sprouts and soft-boiled eggs... Best breakfast in the world.

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                dtassinari, I never would have thought to try brussels sprouts for breakfast. I really like the idea of the Miso paste.

• dtassinari
                dtassinari commented
                Editing a comment
                Thunder77 You can sub in charred broccoli florets, but there's something special about nutty, crispy browned brussels sprout that works so well with miso and eggs. And there's nobody stopping you from having that for dinner instead! It's an extra-creamy oat risotto (ris-oat-to?)

Originally posted by Thunder77 View Post
              Hello all. I am in the market for a stand mixer. Two models I am considering are the Kitchenaid Artisan series 5qt, and the Kitchenaid Professional Plus 5 quart. I intend to use it to make lots of dough: bread dough, pizza dough, etc. And my daughter will use it for making cookies. The Pro series is a bowl lift type mixer, and the artisan series is a tilt-head mixer.

My concern is that the Artisan series has a 325 watt motor. Is this sufficient for mixing bread dough? I don't want to buy an under-powered mixer and burn it out. Also, Are there other brands that any of you have that you are happy with?

Thanks!
              Go with at least the pro 600 any thing less has nylon gears instead of steel & mixing dough often they won't last. Was not always this way, years ago they were all steel gears.
              Dave

Comment

Well, after much research and deliberation, and a lot of great input from Pit members, I picked the Kitchenaid Professional 5 Plus. Excellent price on Amazon. This thing is a BEAST!! It powers through bread and cookie dough like nothing. So far I am in love. MCS has been assuaged for a while.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Skip
                  Skip commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice mixer Thunder77. No more MCS for you-------------------------until tomorrow!

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very nice for sure.

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have the same mixer... also purchased from Amazon. It's a great mixer for what I do. I use it when making Ciabatta dough, 80% to 90% hydration.

You'll want attachments real soon ... I'd start with the meat grinder followed shortly by a pasta maker. Gotta love MCS ... 😁 ...

Comment

MBMorgan Gee THANKS! Here I thought I was safe for a while....

Comment

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You're never safe!🤑

Love the red color. Now just add some flames to the sides and then it will be awesome.

Comment

Good choice. That machine is the gold standard in professional kitchens all over the world: it can take so much punishment and still perform 100%.

In one of my previous workplaces we made nougat in it (it's a REALLY stiff meringue), and one day while we were making the third batch in a row the motor got so hot it melted the insulation in some wires and the casing was so hot it sizzled. Opened it up to allow ventilation, popped it in the freezer walk-in for a few minutes, screwed it back on and it got back to work like nothing happened. It's a beast.

Comment

I have and use both the KA Artisan lift head, and the earlier "regular" tilt head, only available in black or white, slightly smaller wattage rating, and a 4 qt bowl without a handle. In this range, I don't think the wattage rating means much, more to do with the gearing an construction. I make bread in both all the time, up to 6 C of flour at a time, and no real difference except the bigger bowl contains flour better at the start. Neither gets more than a little warm. I considered the Pro, but like the tilt head --- much easier to add ingredients, like for cookies, etc. All the KA models have the accessory port and take the same ones.

Note that KA has a page on its site that sells demos or returned, refurbished mixers at a good discount. http://tinyurl.com/zla8mxw I bought mine there, 1 yr guarantee. You might have to wait awhile to find the model and color you want, but not long. No reason not to buy there.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here