Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stand Mixer Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willy
    commented on 's reply
    Skip The SE article mentions autolyse, but the actual recipe didn't include it. It just seemed logical to me to add the autolyse step.

• Skip
    commented on 's reply
    I like that SE Dough too. I just made some today. In the frig right now. I will have to try your autolyse step next time. I do that on bread dough but didn't think to do it with the SE pizza. Dah! Thanks.

• Abom
    replied
    I have the smaller KA and it's lasted 28 years so far. Only thing is that I'm always wishing I had that bowl lift feature. I'd go Pro just to get that.

Leave a comment:

• OneEyedJack
    commented on 's reply
    When in doubt, ALWAYS more power! If you have a car with a big engine, you don't always have to keep your foot in it, but it's there if you want or need it.

• Willy
    replied
    I agree with those who recommend the biggest one you can afford. Our KA is a 325 W, 5 qt and it does just fine with 70% hydration doughs, but low hydration bagel dough is clearly hard for it. Also, KA recommends kneading stiff doughs for only four minutes at a time, with a ten minute rest (for motor cooling) following each kneading cycle. As such, I do my kneading in two four-minute stints, wrapped up by a two-minute stint, which is about what it takes to pass the window pane test. Our model is not the tilt-head. I suspect I would like a tilt head better.

I do prefer machine kneading to kneading by hand. Of course, I still do stretch and folds and tension pulls by hand. Finally, I LOVE the Serious Eats food processor pizza dough first mentioned by RonB. If you do this version, I recommend a 30 minute autolyse step prior to "kneading" with the FP.
    Last edited by Willy; March 8, 2017, 04:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    I agree - get the biggest motor you can afford. High and medium hydration doughs will do well in just about any mixer, but low hydration doughs, like bagels, can be too much for a smaller motor. It doesn't hurt to have a larger motor for grinding meat either.

Edit to add: And I bet you will never say "Man, I wish I had gotten the smaller motor!".
    Last edited by RonB; March 8, 2017, 02:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sephon
    replied
    We have the KA pro in our kitchen. My wife uses it for all things baking, she loves it, but wishes it had the tilt head.

We use the pasta attachment, the spiralizer, and the meat grinder. I've tried the sausage stuffer, but it is not efficient at all.

Either way, you will love machine and wonder how you ever lived without it.

Leave a comment:

• Brewmaster
    replied
    I have owned a Bosch for over 35 years and I am totally satisfied with it, my wife before starting her job made all the bread for the family of 5, never had a problem with it, we also got the flour grinder and made our own flour. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJyS5Q6KRww

Leave a comment:

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    I cheat on low hydration dough (66°) sometimes, but never on higher hydration sourdough like 75%. Ken Forkish just made high hydration dough so easy.

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    On a spiral dough hook... when your dough climbs your hook and cleans the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl that is an indication that your dough is done mixing. It won't climb the hook until there is gluten development. Do a window pane test to verify it's done mixing.

• Breadhead
    commented on 's reply
    You have to have arms like Popeyes's to mix 95% hydration dough by hand...😬

• scottranda
    replied
    Confession: I don't mix dough by hand anymore 😬 Too time consuming and the KA works wonders.

Leave a comment:

• scottranda
    replied
    I have the KA Artisan (tilt head). Works great for everything including mixing bread dough. I turn that baby on high for five min and that sucker has awesome gluten development. Motor gets warm, but not bad at all. It should last a lifetime. I've had mine for 4 years.

I'd go with whatever the nicest one you can afford. But, you'd be pleased with the Artisan too!

Leave a comment:

• Skip
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks. I have that dough hook but the dough climbs up quite often. I've read that the spiral dough hook helps with that problem some. If anyone knows where I could get one that fits I'd buy it.

• Thunder77
    commented on 's reply
    I mix sourdough by hand, but there are some recipes, especially with eggs and butter, that I prefer a mixer for.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here