Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surprising Flour Find at WalMart Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprising Flour Find at WalMart Today

One kilo bags of Caputo 00 flour!

There's a Pablo Escobar joke in there.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      I wuz thinkin' of Arlo Guthrie.

I found 500g bags at Whole Foods of Tipo 00, a week back. I'll have to look at the local Wally World.

Comment

Package them up in little clear baggies in an attache case and book a flight somewhere. I promise we'll all laugh at the story later.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        But Officer; it's just flour. Honest!

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Isn't that "But ociffer"?

If "00" isn't referencing buckshot I got no use for it.

Comment

What do you plan to use it for and what is the protein amount ? I've been using 00 flour with 12.5 grams per 100/ grams protein to bake sourdough bread and focaccias etc with great results.... I bought a 20kg bag at a great price. I've a new phone coming and as soon as I get it I'll start posting some pics...Its coming from Hong Kong and its a Sony Xperia XZ with a 23 megapixel camera. Its 330 dollars cheaper than here Down Under...can't wait...

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          The protein content of 00 flour is about 11 or 12 percent.

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll use it for pizza. Like yours, this particular flour has a protein content of 12.5%--pretty much like KA bread flour.

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Willy ... I only use 00 flour when I'm making authentic Neapolitan Pizza and baking it in my BGE at 800 to 1000 degrees. If I'm baking pizza indoors or outdoors at 600° or less I use All Purpose or Bread flour.

That's a great find. The local grocery that just closed carried an 00 flour, so it's nice to know that I can get more at Walmart. I have found that Walmart carries a lot more items online than in the stores. You can order online for in store pickup and you don't have to pay shipping.

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          I just went to the Caputo website--Holy cow, they have a number of different 00 flours. It's beyond me.

Mario Batali's HOMEMADE PASTA DOUGH

2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
        2 Cups 00 Flour (or just use 4 cups All-Purpose Flour)
        4 large Eggs

Mound the flour in the center of a large wooden board. Make a well in the center of the flour and add the eggs. Using a fork, beat the eggs together and then begin to incorporate the flour; starting with the inner rim of the well. As you expand the well, keep pushing the flour up to retain the well shape (do not worry if it looks messy).

When half of the flour is incorporated, the dough will begin to come together. Start kneading the dough, using primarily the palms of your hands. Once the dough is a cohesive mass, set the dough aside and scrape up and discard any dried bits of dough.

Continue kneading for 10 minutes, dusting the board with additional flour as necessary. The dough should be elastic and a little sticky. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and allow to rest for 30 minutes at room temperature before using.

Video Link:

http://www.mariobatali.com/videos/homemade-pasta-dough/

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here