Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I really don't have OCD.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really don't have OCD.

I just like my bread slices even. I mostly bake sandwich bread - white for me and whole wheat for my wife. I like the slices to be even, but for toast or French toast, they do need to be even because when the slice is 1/8" on one side and 3/8" on the other, one side will not be toasted correctly. So I decided to make a guide for slicing bread. I finally came up with a design that was fairly simple and easy to make. A friend gave me some scrap walnut, and cut it to size for me. I added the ss rods, the brass insets, and the guide. I also had a piece of scrap acrylic to use as a cutting board under the bread.

The bread is 50% ap and 50% www with sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and ground flax added. I didn't score the loaf on the right quite deep enough, and it blew out on one side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CM7I1133.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	273608

Name:	CM7I1132.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	353.6 KB
ID:	273611

Name:	CM7I1141.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	273609

Name:	CM7I1143.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	273610

That looks really good. One thing you might want to add is some marker lines(not magic marker) so you can vary the thickness of the slices. Maybe at 1/8" intervals.
    That block brought back some memories. When I was a youngin I made a butcher block out of solid walnut. My mom still has it in her kitchen today.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve B - I had planned to do that, but it turned out so nice I don't want to put marks on it. I could drill some holes to put a pin in, but the exact thickness of each slice is not critical.

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      That's really funny. My initial post was going to say (drill a couple of holes) but than I realized

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Whoa. Don't know how that posted.
      I realized if you just made some marks on the board you would have a reference point. Maybe a very fine cut. Just enough to score the surface with out making a big impact on the board.
      Would Love to see what you do if anything.

Nice! (Now shall I break out my band saw or 12" chop saw in a feeble attempt at one upmanship? ... and don't forget the pics ...)

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      MBMorgan - go for it!

Definitely OCD, Man. But if it pleases you, what the hell?

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF - exactly!

They do make bread knives with a guide built in so your slices come out even.

And you know you really have OCD when you have CDO, which is OCD with the letters in the right order.

Comment

That's a handsome device, RonB.

OCD? Of course you have it. The comment about the center score was the give away. LOL So What?? Looks nice and makes you happy.

Comment

Very nice.

Comment

Very nice n' orderly! Cool idea! Ya' could put an' adjustable benchstop t' th' RH side o' th' goalposts, fer nice, consistent but adjustable, repeatable OCD slices!!! Nice job, I likeys!!! Monk would be proud!!!

Comment

Hate to break it to you, but you have OCD man! Beautiful block, though!

Comment

That's a cool device right there! It drives me crazy when i can't cut my homemade bread slices evenly.

Comment

Thanx all for stopping by and commenting.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here