Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baking at High Altitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baking at High Altitude

Listening to Chris Kimball's Milk Street podcast today, the topic of baking at high altitude came from a caller in Santa Fe (7,000 feet). Her issue was regarding cookies, BUT, Kimball noted that the chemical leavening in cookie recipes should be cut by about 1/3 at high altitude. Sara Moulton chimed in with a book recommendation: "Pie in the Sky", by Susan Purdy, which covers baking a number of cookies, breads, pies, etc, at sea level, 3,000 ft, 5,000 ft, and 7,000 ft (might have missed one).

I'll see if I can get it at my library.

Here's what I know. If you play loud rock 'n roll, immediate FoH loud, it makes the cake fall at 4500 feet. I'm guessing that works at every other altitude, but please let Willy and I know your results.

Comment

I received the Susan Purdy book (see OP) from the library and have looked through it. It’s mostly related to desserts, but it does have a few bread recipes and it has a cover blurb by no less than Shirley Corriher of Good Eats fame--she was also consulted during the author's research, as were a number of scientists. Buzz Aldrin (the astronaut) also chimes with a few good words! The author has a lot of relevant experience, including writing a dozen cookbooks and winning an IACP/Julia Child award for one of them. She baked extensively at sea level, 3,000, 5,000, 7,000 and 10,000 feet during the course of researching this book and has 100 recipes that are adjusted for each altitude she covers.

Anyway, the gist of her advice regarding bread is this:

Don’t let the dough rise further than specified, instead punch it down earlier and add another rise. Over-rising stretches the gluten structure too much.

Under proof rather than over proof.

Don’t use instant yeast at higher altitudes (too active) and generally cut back on the amount of yeast some.

Do your rising under cooler conditions.

Add salt early to help retard the yeast. Also, add more salt than usual as (she says) higher altitudes dull the taste buds some.

Bake at higher temperature (25-50°-ish depending on how high)

There is more and not all "rules" are firm and fast. If you can find a copy at the library, it’s worth a read. If you are a dessert baker, it’s likely worth owning the book.

Now, I must go consume large quantities of beer, chili (made with left over brisket), and dips & salsas while watching the Super Bowl. Go Falcons!

emil.glatz Alas, nothing about loud rock 'n' roll!

Comment

• emil.glatz
        emil.glatz commented
        Editing a comment
        Boy that's disappointing. She probably ran out of funding for her book before she was able to research that section.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here