Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baker's Percentage Formula Calculator (Excel Spreadsheet)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baker's Percentage Formula Calculator (Excel Spreadsheet)

For the past couple of months, in collaboration with scottranda , I've been developing a comprehensive new spreadsheet intended to make the job of developing, scaling, and reverse-engineering bread formulas (recipes) faster and much easier. In it, you'll find several types of worksheets:

The first is a Title/Documentation page. It contains sufficient (I hope) details to get you started understanding and using the rest of the spreadsheet:

Click image for larger version  Name:	01 - Bakers Percentage Calculator - Title.jpg Views:	1 Size:	874.2 KB ID:	267613

The second is a Bread Log (contributed entirely by Scott). It is intended to be a place to record the details of bread(s) that you have baked:

Click image for larger version  Name:	02 - Bakers Percentage Calculator - Bread Log.jpg Views:	1 Size:	429.2 KB ID:	267614

The third type is the Baker's Percentage Calculator itself. You'll find examples of three breads (Breadhead's 66% Hydration Sourdough, a 75% White Bread with Sourdough Poolish, and Breadhead's Brioche Hamburger Buns):

Click image for larger version  Name:	03 - Bakers Percentage Calculator - Breadheads 66% Hyd Sourdough.jpg Views:	1 Size:	533.6 KB ID:	267615

Thanks to Willy , there is now a fourth type ... his new spreadsheet that takes care of the math when you need to boost your flour protein level:

Click image for larger version  Name:	03 - Bakers Toolkit - Boost Flour Protein Level.jpg Views:	1 Size:	313.0 KB ID:	271108

I invite anyone here to download the spreadsheet using the link below and to use it however it suites you best. Scott and I are open to feedback, questions, suggestions for improvement, etc., and we'll do everything we can to provide help.

Here is a link to the latest version:

DropBox can be a little fussy at times, so please let me know if the link gives you problems.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by MBMorgan; March 22, 2017, 10:20 AM.

I just downloaded and opened file without any problems so far, thanks!!

Comment

Thanx to both of you.

Comment

Awesome! Thank you both!

Comment

Fantastic! I've always tried to wing it, with less than desirable results. Using a tool such as this is a sure fire way to improve. Thanks guys!

Comment

SWEET! Thanks for youse guys' work.

Comment

Awesome job. While I do not do bread it is fantastic work and the type of resource that goes well beyond what someone would expect from "any old BBQ" site.

Comment

Excel geeks unite! We hope it serves as a useful tool to those experienced and beginners alike! It was fun to make a bread tool to help everyone!

Comment

I just downloaded it too. My mistake was to click on the document in the post and not the link. DUH!

Comment

I just created an updated link to the latest version of the spreadsheet in my original post in this thread. It's grown in functionality since the first version so its name has been changed to the more generic "Baker's Toolkit".

In the latest version, you'll find the following:
                    1. An updated Intro sheet (formerly "Title") with a few edits and some additional information about new functionality.
                    2. The Bread Log (from scottranda ) is unchanged.
                    3. A new sheet from Willy labeled "Boost Flour Protein Level" which handles the math when you need to boost your flour protein level.
                    4. Two Blank Recipe Sheets:
                      1. Blank Recipe Sheet (by %) - This one is new. In it you enter ingredient amounts in Baker's % instead of weight.
                      2. Blank Recipe Sheet (by wt) - This is the original sheet in which you enter ingredient amounts by weight.
                    5. Five sheets with examples of how each is used for several bread formulas ... including two new ones showing how to use the new "Recipe Sheet (by %)" format.
                    6. The original "Common Ingredients" sheet is unchanged.

THE LINK TO THE LATEST VERSION IS IN THE FIRST POST IN THIS THREAD

Enjoy! (and feel free to ask questions or provide feedback or suggestions)
                    Last edited by MBMorgan; March 22, 2017, 10:22 AM.

Comment

This is some great stuff (if I do say so myself). I hope it serves our community. I have a few friends interested in bread making. This will be my go-to teaching tool.

Comment

Way to go guys! Still haven't gotten around to making bread yet but I will eventually. So thanks in advance.

Comment

Thank you for your efforts!

Comment

Thanks for fixing the link!! This thread is worthy of a "bump", I believe.

Comment

Thanks. A lot of thought went into this. If you're wanting to learn bread, you can't beat this excel file which is only found on the Pit.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here