Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Citric Acid, Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Citric Acid, Part 2

Regarding citric acid: The last two loaves I made (1.2 kg) had a teaspoon of citric acid each. While that amount didn’t add much tang, it DID seriously foul up the bread. In both cases, the dough came together nicely right away (I knead with a KitchenAid and dough hook), then became very tacky as the kneading progressed, sticking a lot to the bottom of the bowl. It seemed like maybe a 75% hydration dough. I assumed that I had measured wrong the first time, so I added over a half a cup of flour to "adjust" the hydration. When it happened the second time, I figured that the citric acid was the culprit. Again, I added about a half cup of flour to reduce the tackiness. Neither loaf exhibited any oven spring and both had very dense crumbs. Seems like citric acid, at least at the rate I used it, ain't a very good idea. Still on deck is a loaf that I'll add some vinegar to.

Today, I confirmed my suspicions by making a loaf without citric acid and all came out well--beautiful oven spring. Haven’t tasted it yet, but I also did something different to hopefully help with sourness, which was to leave Vinnie, my starter, at room temp for a few days instead of in the fridge.

Also, Vinnie passed the float test yesterday afternoon, but not this AM. Because of time constraints, I did room temp rises instead of refrigerating the dough and, despite the inability to float, the loaf rose like a champ both times and had nice thin bubbles on its surface during the tension pulls. I am hopeful that the longer (to a point) the starter sits past its peak, the more sourness is developed. I am disappointed that the fridge seems to be a bad idea, because it was nice to not feed Vinnie every day.

FWIW, I use a 65% hydration rate which I feel is approximately equivalent in tackiness to Chef Jacob’s 70% hydration sourdough boule where he uses 20% WW (I use all BF except in my starter which is 100% hydration and 50/50 BF/WW).

Good luck - I hope you get it worked out soon.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah, things are actually very good bread-wise. Just struggling with tang. Today's result offers promise. See the other thread.

To close this out--further reading suggests (strongly-LOL) that the citric acid interferes in some way with gluten structure, which makes sense in light of my experience. In the YMMV category, I did find sites recommending as much as a teaspoon prior to making these two loaves. NOW, I see many recommend only 1/8--1/4 tsp. My final conclusion is that the tang provided by a full tsp is minimal anyway; I can't imagine 1/4 tsp doing much. Then again, I don't have them super taste buds some folks have.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here