Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What in the Heck????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What in the Heck????

Yesterday's loaf came out with a VERY dense crumb and almost no sour tang. I am beyond puzzled. I did my usual procedure (detailed below) with one exception--my starter passed the float test when I made the dough. I don't think for a second that that caused the problem, but it was a deviation so I mention it.

The basic bread recipe:
    --400 grams active poolish starter (passed the float test) –100 grams whole wheat flour, 100 grams bread flour, 200 grams water
    --290 grams water
    --550 grams bread flour
    --1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
    Autolyse for 30 minutes (flour and water only). Add 400 grams starter and salt, mix in KitchenAid with dough hook until it passes the window pane test—ten minutes total mix time.
    Do three folds 10 minutes apart
    Refrigerate overnight.
    Bring to room temp and allow to rise more.
    Do one more stretch and fold, then do a tension pull. Wait ten minutes and do another tension pull. Turn into floured banneton and let rise until it passes the finger test.
    Put in 500° oven with pre-heated pizza stone and pre-heated stainless bowl. After 25 minutes, turn the heat down to 425°F and bake 30 more minutes.

Interestingly, the vertical oven spring is the best I've ever gotten, but the loaf didn't spread to the side nearly as much as normal.

Any thoughts on why such a dense crumb would develop?

425°Fremove the bowl and continue to bake. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0382.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	248892Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0794[1].JPG
Views:	100
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	248893

You may have been bitten by low hydration (65%) in combination with a fair amount (100g) of WW flour in your dough. I find that when adding more than just a little WW flour, I have to increase hydration at least several % to allow for the fact that WW absorbs more water than white BF. If I were you, I might try upping hydration to as much as 70% next time.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      I suspect not as the only WW I use is in the starter and it's only 50% of the flour. That's always been my practice, as is 65% hydration. Perhaps I made a weighing error, but, even when I added WW per Chef Jacob (100 g) to the dough, my crumb wasn't this bad.

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      The reason I'm at 65% hydration is that the deletion of Chef Jacob's 100 g of WW (not including the starter) made the dough stickier than I wanted to deal with. Now that I'm more comfortable with dough, I may increase the hydration anyway.

I would agree with Mbmorgan. If I add Whole Wheat or White Wheat I need to add a little more water or the loaf gets too dense.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      The same thing occurs with brown and white rice, the former requiring more water.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here